Red exclamation mark on thumbnail

I'm getting a red exclamation mark on some, not all, Excel file thumbnails in a Documents folder. This started on Office 2007 and continues with Office 2013. It suggests to me that something may be wrong with the files so marked. Note that I can open marked files and work on them normally.

Any ideas why this might be happening and how I can go about fixing the issue?

Running Win7 64-bit/McAfee, with IE9, now on IE10.

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Office Community and We will be glad to assist you with your concern. I understand that some of the Excel files in the documents folders show with an exclamation mark.

What is the file format of these Excel files saved on the computer?
The exclamation mark in the Excel files icon usually represents macros enabled files. The file extension for these type of files is *.xlsm

Create a sample excel file and save it in the Excel macro format and check the thumbnail how it represents.

You may also refer to the following thread which discusses about the similar issue:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-excel/meaning-of-icons-on-recent-file-list-in-excel/5074dbac-2d44-e011-9767-d8d385dcbb12

If these are not macro enabled Excel files, then open any of these Excel file and save it as Excel Workbook (*.xlsx) format and verify results.

If the issue persists, reply and we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank You

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Srinivasu.

First, my apologies, let me be more precise with the 'offending' marking. It is actually a white exclamation mark within a red circular background.

Second, after following your suggestion, I see that thumbnails for both existing xlsx and a newly-created xlsm file show the identical marking.

In addition, when I save the newly-created xlsm file to xlsx format, the marking persists.

The files in the Documents folder that do not show the marking are xls.

Interestingly, when I delete a marked file of either format, the marking has disappeared from the thumbnail when I view it in the Recycle Bin.

Your thoughts?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for replying.

It looks like the white exclamation mark may be part of online sync software which backups regularly, however, in this case there might be some issues or some other reasons.

Do you see this similar icon for any other Office application related files saved on the same folder?

Upload a screenshot of the Excel icon for which you have white exclamation mark within a red circular background. Refer the following thread on how to upload a screenshot to SkyDrive:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/feedback/forum/suggest/how-to-insert-an-image-into-a-post-at-answers/bdae0306-c3cb-4d31-ace9-7281ea1a8a73

Thank You

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I am not using auto sync for any of my files.

I opened a variety of Office 2013 files in the same folder. The only file to show the exclamation mark was Powerpoint.

The procedure for Skydrive seems a little daunting. Is this really necessary?

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 12, 2024 Views 5,564 Applies to: