Recipient received message, but cc'ed person did not?

I went on the Microsoft Exchange Admin Center and used the Message Trace to see the email was successfully delivered to the recipient, employee #1. However, employee #2 who was cc'ed did not receive the email and it doesn't show any activity for them in the Message Trace for this specific email either. Strangely, the same email structure with employee #1 directly receiving and employee #2 cc'ed had each of them receiving the emails all day today up until this point.

I did not make any modifications to the email admin settings during this time, nor did either employee modify their email settings either. Could someone point me in the right direction as to what might have caused this?

I have checked for the email on employee #2's outlook desktop client and web client.

Both employees are using Outlook 365 with Microsoft Exchange.

Hi AD1_375,

Generally, when sending emails to a person and cc’ing to another person, both email message trace results will be displayed:

When you said, “it doesn't show any activity for them in the Message Trace for this specific email either”, do you mean, there isn’t any results for the email cc’ed to employee #2? Please run the message trace again, then just specify the sender and date to see if you can view the message trace result for that email.

At the meantime, to further look into this issue, I’d like to confirm the following information:

1. Whether this sender received any non-delivery report about this messages?

2. If this sender using Outlook client, please check if issue still exists when sending a test email to employee #1 and cc to employee #2 via Outlook Web App.

3. Whether the email has cc’ed to the correct user address?

Thanks,

Anna

-----------------------

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Anna,

I ran the Message Trace and specified just the sender and date, and it shows delivered for employee #1, but not for employee #2. 

For your questions:

1. The sender didn't receive a non-delivery report.

2. We can't ask the sender to do so, as they are not our employee.

3. The email address is correct, as verified on the email received by employee #1.

Regards,

Alex

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Alex,

Sorry for my late response. May I know if this sender can send to that employee #2 directly? And all the further emails that from this specific sender cc’ed or directly send to this employee #2 can’t be received by this employee #2?

Thanks,

Anna

-----------------------

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Anna,

No problem for the delay. We don't have the luxury of asking the sender to troubleshoot with us as they are a potential client. We haven't received any emails from that specific potential client to either employee since the issue.

I have no reports of the issue happening again from either employee since either.

Do you know what some potential causes of the issue might be? I can investigate those on my end.

Regards,

Alex

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Alex,

Generally, when troubleshooting mail sending/receiving issue, firstly, it is recommend to run a messages trace and see if the emails sent from client have reached Office 365 online, if yes, then you can check each mail delivery status; if not, maybe there are some client connections issue, or network delay. Issue may be also related with user account.

Given your situation, if users use Outlook desktop client, you may let users always keep Outlook in latest version. Meanwhile, I suggest that you may monitor this issue, if it happens again, you can always post back or post a new thread in our forum to let us know.

Thanks,

Anna

-----------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 12, 2021 Views 1,240 Applies to: