Read Aloud

I'm currently using Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016.  I have been using the "Read Aloud" feature under the "Review" tab in Microsoft word for quite some time to review my papers for school.  However, after writing a paper today, I went to click on "Read Aloud" and the icon was gone.  I made sure my product was up to date, I restarted the computer and then added "Read Aloud" back into the ribbon (which I don't know why it was gone in the first place), but now I can't click on it.  It's like it no longer works.  Any advice?

Question Info

Last updated January 21, 2020 Views 949 Applies to:

Hi,

It's possible that some settings were accidentally changed, causing the "Read Aloud" feature to stop working. We suggest using the Speak feature instead by following these steps:

1. Launch Word.
  2. Click File.
  3. Choose Options.
  4. Click Customize Ribbon.
  5. Select All commands from the drop-down under Choose Commands From.
  6. Choose Speak from the list of commands.
  7. Select the Custom Group that you created for the Review tab on the right column and click Add.
  8. Click OK.
  9. Once Speak has been added to the Review tab, highlight the text that you want, then click the Speak icon to use it.

Let us know if the Speak feature works after following these steps.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your response.  The speak feature does work.  I'm not sure what settings I would have accidentally changed causing Read Aloud to stop working.  I never adjust the settings.  Just wondering, does Read Aloud no longer work on Word?

Sorry this didn't help.

In Version 1710 Build 8625.2055, the Read Aloud feature does work here.

I think that the registry entry that connects the Read Aloud command in your Word to the text-to-speech engine may be missing or corrupted. Try repairing Office, which would rewrite the registry entries if they're damaged.

Sorry this didn't help.