Publishing An Access Database To The Web

When you use Sharepoint 2010's Access Services to publish an access database to the web, can you use any website or does it have to be a Sharepoint website? If so:

1) Can you expand on that briefly as I am not familiar with Sharepoint?

2) If not, does that mean it is a standalone web site, not dependent upon Sharepoint?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

See...

http://www.mssharepointtips.com/tip.asp?id=969

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff402351.aspx

and then...

http://accesshosting.com/

--
Gina Whipp
2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)

Please post all replies to the forum where everyone can benefit.
Gina Whipp
Microsoft MVP (Access 2010-2015)
https://www.access-diva.com/tips.html

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It looks as though you have to have an Access Services enabled server. Does having Sharepoint Server 2010 mean that you have an Access Services enabled server? Or, does it take a special server? If so, what makes it an Access Services enabled server?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No, it does not... it's alot to explain which is why I provided you with the links.  IThe last link is a paid service for hosting your application.
--
Gina Whipp

Gina Whipp

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Bottom line. If I publish an Access database to the web, will I have to pay somebody to host it?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes... though I think there is a trial period.
--
Gina Whipp

Gina Whipp

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That's a killer for me? I have spoken to several people, some at Microsoft, and got the impression that once it was published to the web, it was a standalone program. My bad. From what I know, there is no other way to get it on the web. Is that true? Are there any other options for an Access programmer that you know of?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not that is going to be free unless you plan to have your own Sharepoint Server and host your own site.

What exactly were your goals?  Are you writing a program for people to use on the web for free?  Is this for your job?

--
Gina Whipp

Gina Whipp

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, that is my intention. I work for a non-profit group within a hospital setting. We have sattelite offices around the world and we are going to start collecting data from each office. I have fifteen years experience with Access and naturally was very excited about being able to  publish a database to the web. I gathered as much information as I could and decided  that we would take that route, missing the fact that we may have to pay.

I believe we do have our own server. The group with Sharepoint is testing Sharepoint Server 2010. I believe it is the Enterprise version. That brings up another questtion abou the URL we publish to. Can that be any URL?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"Learn2010" wrote in message news:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
That's a killer for me? I have spoken to several people, some at Microsoft, and got the impression that once it was published to the web, it was a standalone program. My bad. From what I know, there is no other way to get it on the web. Is that true? Are there any other options for an Access programmer that you know of?

When you publish to a web site, the result is a standalone program, but is no more standalone than any other web development you choose.

I mean if you develop your software using PHP, or python, and your web provider uses asp.net, then obviously your application is not going to work, is it?

And if you develop your application for the web using mySQL, and your current provider uses ms SQL server, then your application is not going to work is it?

And if you write some table logic and store procedures for oracle, and your current provider is ms-SQL, then again your application will not work. 

So you'll have to explain what you mean by standalone?

As a general rule you need the follwing to build + setup a web system.

You first need a web server. There are many, but the most popular is Apache, and IIS (Microsoft Internet Services), but there are others from Sun, and IBM such as WebShere. They are all different, just like different operating systems on a computer. They are not compatiable with each other.

You then need to choose a database server to store the table data. That data base server can be Oracle, MySql, MSQL, Access Web Services, Postgres, and again each is different, and you have to write everything to work with the particular database system you choose.

You then need to adopt some programing language that the WEB Server (PROVIDER) supports (PHP, ASP.NET, python , Access Web Services etc.).

You then need to Adopt some programming language for the browser. (remember code that you write inside of an form has to run on your user's desktop inside of a web browser �?? if all code runs server side,  then the application is slow since web system respond quite slow �?? think of when you hit a button on a web site, it takes time to respond).

So what exactly system are you talking about that you know that will be stand alone in terms of having a web based database system in which the forms, code, data tables and database server all work together?

The adoption of your web based technologies is no different than the desktop, and access can no more run Foxpro code, then Foxpro can run access code. And the same thing goes for the web, if you develop using ms SQL server, and your web providers using oracle or MySQL, your code and application is not going to run.

So you pretty much have to adopt 3 to 4 technologies here. You need some coding system that allows to build browser side code, usually JavaScript. You then need some type of database server to store your tables and data into. You then need some type of web server to dish out web pages. And then you need some type of programming language to tie all three of the systems together.

So you better explain to be what you mean by standalone? There is no such system that doesn't have any database server and system to tie the web browser to the web server which in term is tied to the database server.

The great thing about access web services, is the browser code, the database engine code, the web server etc are all tied together for you into one coherent system. This means you don�??t have to learn three or four different web based development technologies to make the whole mess all work together.

So you should clarify what you mean by standalone? What database server and web server and programming language are you taking about that results in such a stand alone system?

--
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ummm, you have HIPAA Regualtions to contend with.  What you need to do is work with the Sharepoint testers internally.  You have the people... use them!  They will be able to answer your questions.

--
Gina Whipp

Gina Whipp

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,282 Applies to: