Problem with onedrive requiring login despite guest link with edit permissions

Hello!

I am having problems with onedrive requiring me to login when I am trying to upload/create new files/folders using an anonymous link with edit-permissions.

I'm in a small sports association and alongside the developement of our new website we also want to use our association's Onedrive more. Currently our receptionist, our chairman and I (IT admin) are the only ones with complete access to onedrive and we want it to remain that way. However, we do want our different sections within the association to be able to reach their own folder on onedrive, hence the need to provide a guest link that is embedded in a password protected page on our website. 

I have selected one of the folders, clicked "Share" and chosen "Everyone with the link can edit" because we want the others to be able to upload meeting protocols/creating new documents and folders etc. When I test the link (not being logged in myself) I get to the folder and I am able to edit already existing documents BUT as soon as I try to upload files/create a new folder/create a new document I am asked to login with my microsoft account. WHY????

I have tried the link in different browsers, but with the same result. I also tried to email the link instead of direct copying it but it is not working either. What is strange is that this seemed not to be a problem a month ago....

I have tried to check "Alternatives" in the settings menu in the right upper corner next to my account image but there is no title saying "sharing settings". I have googled everywhere but can't seem to find anyone with the same problem. Some are talking about settings in their sharepoint admin och Onedrive for Business admin but we don't have any of these. We are using Office 365 Home, if that matters.

Can you please help me, what am I doing wrong? (btw, the alternative of verifying everyone's email is not an option because people come and go within the sections). 

Sincerely Elin

Hi Elinpeline,

My name is Raffaele. I am a fellow Microsoft customer and expert user here to help.

Unfortunately it is not possible.

A direct link to a file can be opened without a user login, but accessing features such as upload/create/delete need a registered Microsoft account in order to log the info of the user creator/modifier.

People added this suggestion as a feedback (UserVoice) as it still does not exists, consider voting if interested:
https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/913531-on...

As also stated by MS "Users with the link cannot upload new items", you can find it in the "How do you want to save" paragraph in the following:
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-...

Hope the information provided is useful.

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Kind regards,
Raffaele

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 11, 2024 Views 4,552 Applies to: