Powerpoint uses glTF, but doesn't support transparency with it?!

There are several issues I have with the implementation of 3D objects (I'm talking meshes and textures) in Powerpoint like the lack of basic lighting import for glb and fbx files, but the one I scratch my head over the most is that glb files don't support transparency.

Yes, Powerpoint can use FBX and obj with transparency, but then you have to use the phong shading model, which is so old some programs don't even have a phong shader anymore to export from. Plus phong is prone to a plastic like look and much harder to get good results with than the PBR one in glTF.

When will PPT have transparency glb files in powerpoint?

Hi Gideon Klindt,

Greetings!

Thank you for publishing in Microsoft Community. 

We understand that you need help with your Power Point feature. I would like to ask for a sample file of FBX and gITF through private message. I sent you a private message where you can reply with the sample needed.

Also I would like to ask what Office license and version you have. This is for me to be able to further research here on my resources and to provide accurate information as well.

Regards,
RichieB_
Microsoft Community Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Gideon Klindt,

We haven't heard from you, so we assume that your issue has already been addressed. We will not be monitoring this thread moving forward so, if you need further assistance, please create a new thread to discuss these concerns by clicking this link: Create a new question (microsoft.com)

Thank you for understanding. 

Regards, 

RichieB_

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 12, 2024 Views 124 Applies to: