Powerpoint to PDF conversion is huge

Hi All,

At work I need to convert a powerpoint template that we have to pdfs before I send them to a client. Until late last year, converting a powerpoint to a pdf changed the size from 27.5MB to 18.3MB. This was fine as it is below the G-Mail limit of 25MB per attachment. 

At some point though, a series of updates came out including one for PowerPoint. After this, the size of the file went from 15.5MB (smaller than before) to just over 25MB (larger than before). To fix this I used a quartz filter that reduced the file size, which reduced the pdf to 3.5MB, but made the pictures slightly blurry (but not so blurry that we found it unacceptable to send out).

Now an update has just come out, where the conversion results in the pdf being nearly 45MB in size. Using the quartz filter on this makes the pictures look terrible, and we can't send it to the clients. The template that we use hasn't been changed, nor has the process with changing it for each client (just inserting names and amounts), so I can't understand why exporting as a pdf now results in the file tripling in size rather than getting smaller.

Is there any way that this can fixed such that I don't have to change the content in the ppt template or send it as a Google Drive link? Is there a way to adjust the Quartz filter such that I can limit the reduction to the file size so that the pictures aren't compromised?

Many Thanks,

Joe.

Answer
Answer

There is not only one "flavor" of PDF, there are a lot of things going on when "compressing" a PDF.

A PDF containing images can be compressed mainly using 2 methods.

1. Resampling the images.

2. Compressing the images using JPG compression using different settings.

It seems Powerpoint has no way of configuring these export settings, You only have the two default options. "Small and very small".

One option is that you send it to print to a virtual printer. This is a printer that instead of sending it to paper, it sends it to a file.

One popular is PDF creator. Just install it carefully so you deactivate any unwanted feature or additional software you do not want. It can be configured on how you want this images on both options, Resampling, and compression methods. But you need to also configure paper size to match your file.

---

In theory, another option inside PowerPoint itself is that you make a copy of your file and in File>Options>Advanced and play on the Size and quality of the images.

I say in theory because it is not clear how this affects and resamples the images inside PowerPoint. I have tried checking and unchecking the boxes, combining them, changing the resolution, etc, but I do not notice any difference. They should be resampled when saving, but nop.

One problem I think resides that in PowerPoint you normally start with a presentation for a screen, but it still handles the dimensions in physical units. I need to do more tests...

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 2, 2024 Views 9,799 Applies to: