PowerPoint found a problem with content in....

PowerPoint 2016 is showing the following error for way too many of my presentations and it is unacceptable.

"PowerPoint found a problem with content in (file name). PowerPoint can attempt to repair the presentation. If you trust the source of the presentation, click Repair." 

I've click 'Repair' and It doesn't fix the issue. Any slides with images are unavailable. It also happens when I try to download any of the presentations from Dropbox. 

Many of these presentations are quite old and this message / issue never raised its ugly head in PowerPoint until recently. I believe since the update to 2016.

I see others have this issue and see multiple explanations and fixes across multiple versions of PPT for it. Please give me one for PowerPoint 2016. I need an immediate fix.

I trust the content / images and need to get this fixed very quickly.

Thanks,

Mark

|

Hi Mark,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

Let us Open PowerPoint click on, file---options--- trust center----trust center settings ---protected view—uncheck all the options.

In the trusted documents----check allow the documents on a network to be trusted. And click ok.

I hope the above suggestion helps. If you need further assistance, get back to us and we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

75 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for reporting the issue!

To help us get to the root cause of the problem, could you please provide more information about your case?

1. What version of PowerPoint are you using? ( File -> Account, click the "About PowerPoint" button)

2. Does the problem only happen to the Dropbox folder, or do you also hit it in other file locations?

3. If you don’t mind, could you please share a sample file with us? You may place it on a file share (e.g. OneDrive) and post a link in this thread. Or, we can create a private communication channel with you to get the file. Please let us know which way works better for you.

To unblock you accessing the file while we are investigating, you may also try adding the document location to the trust list. Note that this approach is not recommended, due to security concerns, but may solve your immediate problem for now. Please remember to reset the settings, after the issue is resolved.

The instruction to add a trust Location: 

1. Go to File -> Options -> Trust Center -> Trust Center Settings… -> Trusted Locations

2. Click “Add new location…”, and click “Browse…” to select the location of your file

Thanks!

Esther

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mark,

Just to check in.  Are you still having the issue?  Did you try the workaround I've suggested earlier?  If this is still an issue for you, could you help us investigate this for you by answering the questions I asked earlier? 

Thanks,

Esther

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Esther, 

Harha's recommendations solved the issue, but I guess it was only temporary. 

I tried to go back into the file today and ran into the same problem. I double-checked my settings and they were still as Harsha recommended. I tried your work-around by selecting the folder that contains the document, but this did not make a difference.

To answer your questions:

• The file sits in my dropbox folder
  • I'm using Powerpoint 2016
  • It's a work file that shouldn't be shared externally

Please advise.

Thanks, 

Mark

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try moving the file out of the dropbox folder and into any folder on your PC that isn't being "watched" by other synchronization or backup software.

Rightclick the file's icon, choose Properties, check the General tab.

If there's an UNBLOCK button, click that, then OK to close the dialog box.

Now try opening the file.

PowerPoint Help:
https://www.pptfaq.com/
PPTools:
https://www.pptools.com

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't work. I was able to move the file to my desktop, but there was no "UNBLOCK" button on the General tab. 

Any other suggestions?

p.s., my patience is wearing very thin with Microsoft. Per Harsha's recommendations, I've stated that the documents should be 'trusted', but that doesn't seem to matter to Microsoft. Why have the option if it doesn't matter? 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I suggested the UNBLOCK dodge because blocked files seem to produce an odd variety of (sometimes misleading) error messages.  I thought that might possibly be the case here.

Otherwise, "problem with content" messages might indicate that the file is somehow corrupted.  Do you have backup copies of some of these files that you can try opening?

Other thoughts: 

Is there any chance that the files have been renamed to give them a different extension, or that they got a different filename extension as the result of downloading?  If a PPTM, for example, has been renamed to PPTX, PowerPoint won't open it. 

Are there any active-x controls or copy/pasted objects from other applications?  PPT might be barking at those if so.

PowerPoint Help:
PPTools:

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Steve, 

I appreciate your help. 

It's happening to a few files and common issues / 'barking' seems to be pages on slides with images embedded in them. 

The initial suggestions from Harsha above worked a couple months back, but no longer seem to matter. Nothing has changed between now and then in terms of content or file type.  

The files reside in a Dropbox file and can be viewed online, even in PowerPoint online. The issue is I cannot open them locally in PowerPoint. I'm not sure if that helps, but thank you for your assistance.

Mark

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

PowerPoint Online is probably not as fussy about what it'll open since nothing you open there is really running on your own PC, so MS doesn't feel the need to protect you from The Evil That Lurks Within (your PPT files).

Can you isolate the problem to one or two slides that you can share with us (on dropbox is fine)?

PowerPoint Help:
PPTools:

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This option worked for me Thanks.

The other option is you download the file Right Click and if you see Unblock option (below advanced). Click it. This will unblock the file and next time when you right click the Unblock option will be gone. Now you should be able to open the file.

Regards,

Vikash

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 23, 2021 Views 19,950 Applies to: