PowerPoint audio is cut short or corrupted when recording longer than 40 seconds

This is a recent problem and I'm not sure if it is the result of a software update but it has become a real problem for our work flow.

When recording narration (or individual slide audio) an audio track longer than 40 seconds is either cut off mid flow or becomes garbled and speeds to the end of the section. With the latter the audio track appears to be the appropriate length but as it reaches the 40 second mark just speeds up and becomes incomprehensible. 

I've seen similar posts appearing on the support pages and Microsoft has put it down to a corrupted PPT(X) file. I've tried this with old files and new files across multiple PCs with different individuals logged in. I've tried USB headsets and those with audio jacks. All have the same issue.

I thought it might be a buffering issue as a result of the length of the narrated presentation even though this has not been a problem in the past.  When I tried recording individual audio tracks rather than recording narration across the entire presentation I get the same result.

Any thoughts?

Question Info

Last updated November 3, 2019 Views 2,699 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Interestingly, found a link to someone else having the same problem : http://superuser.com/questions/1161570/is-there-a-time-limit-for-recording-audio-on-a-powerpoint-slide/1161639

Sadly no real solution, though there is an answer of sorts from Steve.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Having done a lot more internet searching I came across a suggestion to change the format that PowerPoint saves audio as :

MP4 (default): Use .mp4 for video and use .m4a for audio

WMV: Use .wmv for video and use .wma for audio Please visit the following page for more details:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2883051

The registry key is :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\PowerPoint\Options\MediaTargetFormat

The Microsoft page says to create "MediaTargetFormat" as a dword entry. but this isn't correct as you can't then set the value to be WMV. Create the entry as a string instead. Also it has a KB download but when I attempted to install it, it said this update was already installed, so you may find all you need is the registry key.

I did this on my test machine yesterday and was able to record narration longer then 40 seconds. The last couple of seconds of narration was clipped regardless of how long I recorded for, but the solution to that is to leave a few sends blank at the end.

Two other users then tested the registry fix and had success too, so it looks like this may do the job.

We have other issues with the media format being WMA instead of M4A, but that's our problem to resolve rather than a Microsoft issue.

Thanks for everyone who has looked at this issue.

Cheers

Matt

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.