portal.office.com (Office 365) to ADFS then This page can’t be displayed on IE11

I am using Office 365 with ADFS authentication.

When I go to portal.office.com, and the following is true, I get a This page can’t be displayed error just as the browser tries to authenticate against my ADFS server:

Using IE or Edge in Windows 10 (IE version: 11.103.10586.0)
    Computer joined to my domain
    On the WAN whether or not I'm connected to the VPN

It will work if:

I'm on my corporate LAN
    There is no problem with Windows 8 in the above setup (IE 11.0.9600.12205)
    If I use Firefox (probably chrome too, haven't bothered to test)

Other notes:

I can properly resolve the external address of my adfs server (otherwise Firefox wouldn't work)

If i replace the server address (adfs.domain.com) with the WAN IP, it will authenticate

My ADFS server along with *.microsoftonline.com and *.office.com is in my Local intranet zone.

Enabling or disabling "Display intranet sites in Compatibility View" does not resolve the issue

From what I can tell, IE cannot resolve the address of my adfs server or refuses to talk to it. I don't know how a browser would not be able to resolve an address because I don't believe it's the job of the browser to do name resolution/interpretation at any level.

This affects all Windows 10 clients.

Before asking me if I have checked TLS settings, etc in IE please remember: I am able to connect to my adfs server if I use the IP address in IE.

Before asking if my DNS settings are setup properly: Firefox works fine without me entering the IP.

I'm stuck and have no idea what to try next.

Was told to post my question here (originally posted at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-iewindows_10/portalofficecom-office-365-to-adfs-then-this-page/daeca8a5-fc9d-4b18-b937-0c73b2ee9020?tm=1456783122288&auth=1, then told to post at https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/7821bf2a-3fd4-4dc3-9ef6-8aa02d19803e/portalofficecom-office-365-to-adfs-then-this-page-cant-be-displayed-on-ie11?forum=win10itpronetworking&prof=required then told to post here).

Answer
Answer

hi michael,

from the description, the issue is more related to the ie side.
based on my experience, you can try to turn off "enable intergrated windows authentication*" in ie advanced options to see if it works.

moreover, i've read the origin post and i wonder about the domain-joined pc on the wan since it is not a normal situation. i would like to confirm whether it works for a non-domain-joined pc on the wan.

thanks,
claud 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 23, 2019 Views 758 Applies to: