Pen lags on external display presenting Powerpoint presentation

This question is in reference to two closed threads: Thread 1 and Thread 2

I have the same problem as described in the first link: The stroke only appears on the second screen after I stop holding down the mose button or after taking the pen off the screen.

Turning off hardware acceleration did not help, as in the last reply to the second thread. The presentation view has still this delay (I would not call it lag, as it is not lagging but simply not appearing before the stroke is released) in the writing and shows only stroke-by-stroke while the presenter's view shows smooth writing.

I am also using Powerpoint 2016 on Windows 10.

Any other suggestions?

Question Info

Last updated September 1, 2019 Views 167 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi timo.niedermeyer,

For us to have a better understanding of your concern, we’d like to know more details about your issue. Kindly provide us the following information:

In the meantime, make sure that the pen is also up-to-date. This will help us ensure that it will work effectively and it will get the updated features that it should have.

You may try to launch the app in safe mode, disable the present add-ins in your app and monitor if yo will get the same behavior.

We are looking forward to your response.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

- Yes, the issue occurs in all presentations, old and fresh ones.

- The issue has been there ever since I first tried this feature (about 4 weeks ago), but from the first thread I linked to it is obvious that the issue has been occurring since at least three years for others, as well.

- My software version: Microsoft PowerPoint 2016 MSO (16.0.4738.1000) 64-Bit, Product ID: 00339-10000-00000-AA548.

- This issue is NOT related to the pen. As described above, it also occurs with a mouse.

- The issue occurs also in safe mode.

- I do not have ANY add-ins.

- As soon as I have two displays attached (either two LCD displays, or the internal display and an external disply, or the internal display and a projector and extend the display: When I write in the presenter view, the stroke is smooth on the referent view, but only appears on the slide show view after releasing the mouse button. When I write on the slide show view, the stroke is smooth in the same view, but on the presenter view only appears after releasing the mouse button.

- When I do not extend the display, but have slide show view on both: The stroke is smooth on both displays (as expected, becaus there is only "one" display).

Thus this issue is somehow related to the communication between the two views, ot between the two displays - it must not necessarily be a PowerPoint issue, but could also be due to display settings or the way Windows 10 handler extended displays?

Before we continue this discussion, could YOU please make sure how PowerPoint/Windows behave on YOUR computer?

Please attach two displays to your computer, start powerpoint and open an empty presentation, hit F5, make sure you see presenter view on one display and slide show view on the other, activate the pen tool, draw something on the empty slide in there presenter view while holding down your left mouse button. Before releasing the mosue button, look at the display with the slide show view. Do you see your drawing while you draw it? Release the left mouse button - does your drawing only appear after you release the mouse button?

It would be good to know if it works on your computer...

Thanks, TN

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the immediate response TN.

I tried to raise your concern to our internal support team to further investigate what you are encountering.

I would also like to confirm if you have done repairing the Office program installed on your device. If the same issue occurs after repairing it, you can also try to uninstall and reinstall the app on your end if you haven't tried it yet.

If you have additional questions, or if the issue persists after the troubleshooting steps above, please let me know by replying to this thread. This way, I'll get notified and respond back to you as soon as I can.

Sorry this didn't help.

Neither a repair nor a fresh install help.

Can you please confirm that you tried to reproduce the issue and it did work (or also did not work) for you?

It would be good to know whether this is an issue with PowerPoint itself (i.e. a bug) or just with my configuration...

Thanks,

TN

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for confirmation.

I am coordinating this concern to our internal support team for us replicate the issue. This is now under investigation and I will provide you the information once I get the update from them.

I appreciate your patience.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi timo.niedermeyer,

On behalf of Ma.Lau, I would like to continue where you and her left off. Upon checking we have received an update from our internal support team regarding this matter, They are asking if you could send a screen recording of the issue. To send us the screen recording, you can use the OneDrive app to share the file using a link. You can attach that link by replying to the private message that we sent you. To view your private messages, click on your profile name, select My Profile, and then click on View private messages. If you need specific details on how to do a screen recording, you can click on this link for more information.

Regards, 

Bob

Sorry this didn't help.

We are still working on your concern timo.niedermeyer.

This is now under investigation and coordinating with our internal support team. We'll provide you the update once we receive a response from them.

We thank you for your patience.

Sorry this didn't help.

I sent you a private message asking some information that our internal support should need to contact you.

To check for the message that I have sent, you just need to go to your profile and click View private messages.

I am looking forward to your response.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello timo.niedermeyer - I'm a Program Manager at Microsoft working on inking in PowerPoint. Can you share with me what the "presenter view" looks like in your 2 display scenario? Can you take a look at this help article: 

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Start-the-presentation-and-see-your-notes-in-Presenter-view-4de90e28-487e-435c-9401-eb49a3801257 and let know if your primary display is showing the Presenter View ?

thanks,

-mark

Program Manager, Microsoft

This post is provided "as-is"

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

do you have access to the screen recording I already provided via the cloud, or the screen recording that has been done while discussing this issue by the Microsoft support team? If not, I can of course provide additional recordings or screenshots...

It does not matter whether the presenter view is on primary or secondary screen. No difference.

You can simply reproduce the issue if you use two displays.

The MS support team has already reproduced the issue, and they said after discussing it with the PowerPoint development team that this is the intended behaviour, and if I do not like it I should raise it at the User Voice forum, which I have done... ;-)

https://powerpoint.uservoice.com/forums/288949-powerpoint-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/37719454-pen-strokes-lag-on-external-display-in-presentatio

Best, Timo

Sorry this didn't help.