"Paste Special" links keep breaking on me

I am linking data from an excel file into a word document.  So that when I change the data in the excel it is instantly changed in the word document, where I have to link to the cell.  When I create the links I copy the cell in excel, and then paste special in my Word document.  When I make changes in the excel files, the changes are produced in my Word document.  But my problem is when I close the word document and reopen it, the changes I make in the excel spreadsheet aren't being done in the Word document anymore, as if all of the links break.  I don't move any files around or make any changes.  When I right click on the block of text that should be linked, the link menu doesn't pop up.  It just pops up as if it is plain text.  Although when I go to my "edit links to files" screen, it shows all of the links I have created before.  When I click on a link and click "change source", and then click on the excel speadsheet containing that data, all of a sudden it relinks back up and starts working again.  As soon as I close the Word doc and reopen, it all reverts back to no links working.
|
Try the following:  Click the Office Button, select Word Options (at the bottom), click on Advanced (on the left), scroll down to "General" and check "Update automatic links at open", then click OK.  See if this accomplishes what you are looking for. 

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I just checked and it was already checked.  I noticed that when I reopen the word doc, and all of the links aren't working anymore.  When I go to the "edit links to files".  In the long list of all of the links their is a column called "Type", in that column all of my links say "Excel.sheet.8".  When I click on the links, and re-link them to the actual excel document, the type column changes to Worksheet.  I don't know if that has anything to do with the problem im having.

When I go and re-link everything to the excel document, all of a sudden everything updates fine.  When I right click on the text it allows me to edit links in the dropdown menu.  But as soon as I close everything and repoen, it is back to where nothing is linked, and right clicking on the text block doesnt display a link menu anymore.  But if I go to "edit links to files" screen, their are all of my links right their.

All of my links are set to update automatically, and so is the setting under Option>general section.  It's not that the link won't update autmatically, it is just that the links want to disconnect as soon as I close and reopen.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

It is possible that your links are fine.  Auto updating does not mean instantaneous updating.  Fields should update on opening the document if "update automatic links on open" is checked in Options; printing will update them; or you can manually update them by clicking the link and pressing F9.  To update the whole document, Select All (Ctrl-A) and press F9.  Don't rely on the right click as it does not always give the option to update. use F9 instead.  If this does not work, the links must either be locked (Shift-Ctrl-F11 will unlock) or they are not properly referenced to the workbook.

3 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I know exactly what Aaron is talking about and spent an hour with Microsoft on the same issue.

Although when I change my links to link to the excel document on my C drive forcing it to link using the  Change Source the word document does retain the links.  However, they do not update automatically.  My "Automatically update links" option is also selected in WORD and in the Links box.  No one at Microsoft could figure out what the problem was.  I do know it won't work if your source file is saved in OneDrive or "online".

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 8, 2021 Views 2,499 Applies to: