Outlook Sync to Gmail Account

Help! I purchased Office 365 and installed Outlook on my laptop. I had it years ago on here but then switched to using Gmail apps. I now have a new job that requires me to go back to Outlook. After activating the Outlook it keeps syncing to my Gmail account wanting to pull the over 20,000 emails going back to 2014. I have looked in the data files and settings in Outlook and in the Gmail settings but I cant find anywhere to change the to sync the accounts/folders only from today on and stop it from tying to download all these old emails. Any info greatly appreciated.

Hello AnnClarkTX

The answer to your question depends on how the GMail account was configured (i.e. as a POP3 or IMAP account)

If it's configured as a POP3 account, then there is no option to download data starting from a specific data.

If it's configured as an IMAP account, you can set how much data is stored in the offline data store but to be clear, there's no option for "All data from a given date".
You can set how much data is stored offline in one of two ways

Option #1 - from within Outlook
#1 - Go to File --> Account Settings --> email tab --> select the account --> click on <Change> (as per option #1 in the attached screenshot)

Option #2 - without Outlook closed
#2 - open the Control Panel <Mail> app

Just in case you need info regarding how to access the Control Panel Mail app, that's described in the following article by Outlook MVP Diane Poremsky

Where is the Control Panel Mail icon?
https://www.slipstick.com/how-to-outlook/where-...

#3 - Click on <Email Accounts
#4 - Select the email account --> click on <Change> as per option #2 in the attached screenshot
Karl Timmermans (Outlook MVP 2012-2018)
http://www.contactgenie.info

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 26, 2020 Views 119 Applies to: