Outlook not saving drafts correctly

I've been having a problem with Outlook 2016 since updating to Windows 10. 

Draft emails are set to auto-save. In the past, this has been seamless: I haven't been able to tell when auto-save occurred and the draft was always available in my Drafts folder.

However, now two undesirable behaviors are occurring:

1. Upon every auto-save, the window flashes and the cursor jumps back to home (top left) position. Thus, often I'll be typing in the wrong location and I have to go back and fix it.

2. Only the first saved version is available in the Drafts folder. My email will auto-save as expected, but when I go to the Drafts Folder and click on my email, only the first save shows - the email usually only has a couple of lines. At the top of the compose window there is a message "This is the most recent version, but you made changes to another copy. Click here to see the other versions." That statement is not accurate; the email showing is not the most recent version. When I click to show other versions, a window opens for every save (often a dozen or more) (I frequently compose long emails). The last window to open is the most recent version. I have to close all the other windows and continue editing where I left off.

Also, after I send the email, the first save draft still shows in the conversation view thread and I have to delete the draft before it will show the sent email in the thread.

I have tried uninstall-reinstall of Office.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Steven,

Start Outlook in safe mode following steps mentioned below and then try sending emails and verify the result.

* Hold Windows key + R.
* Copy and paste, or type the following command in the Open box, and then press Enter.

Outlook /safe

Note: There is a space between Outlook and '/'

If Outlook works as expected in safe mode, disable the add-ins by following steps mentioned below and determine the problem causing add-in:

a) Click on File menu, click Options, Add-ins, Go button besides Manage: Com-in Add.
b) Check if there are add-ins listed, clear the checkbox.
c) Close the Office program and restart it.
d) Disable each add-in one at a time, restart the Outlook, and repeat the above procedure. If the issue reappears again, it will help you to determine which add-in is causing this issue.

Hope the above information helps. Try the suggestions and let me know the result at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your response, Vardhaman.

Running in Safe Mode does not resolve the issue.

Through more experimenting, I have discovered two things:

One, the problem occurs also if you manually save - not only autosave.

Two, the problem does not occur if formatting in Rich Text or Plain Text.

I have set my default to Rich Text for now, but that's just a workaround and I'd still like to figure out what's going on.

As an aside, what are the practical differences between Rich Text and HTML? A quick search online seems to indicate it may not display properly on non-Microsoft systems?

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: I've already found that Rich Text attaches files differently. It puts them in-line rather than as a normal attachment. I can't use this workaround for long. Most of my clients use Outlook and they will expect my attachments to appear normally. I expect responses saying I forgot to attach files.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Steven,

Thank you for the reply.

-What is the  Full version number of Office are you using?

Update Office by going to File>Office Account>Office Update>Update Now and verify the result.

If issue still persists, create new profile configure the email account and verify the result.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-an-Outlook-profile-f544c1ba-3352-4b3b-be0b-8d42a540459d?CorrelationId=0e1f94a7-8ab5-42b2-8a1b-dce0bd7651e3&ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&ocmsassetID=HA102749460

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I updated but that didn't resolve the issue. Current version is 16.0.7070.2033.

I created a "Test" profile and the issue seemed to be resolved.

So does this suggest I need to create a new profile for myself and delete the old one? How will this affect my settings? I have custom search folders, views, macros, defaults, etc. I'd rather not have to redo them all.

Thanks again.

EDIT: It turns out creating a new profile didn't resolve the issue. Continue reading below.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Steven,

When you set up new profile settings will be reset to default. There might be possibilities that this issue is occurring due to you customized settings you may try to change settings and check if issue is causing due to any of the custom search folders, views or macro.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been busy.

I created a new profile and the problem has not been resolved. I must have been mistaken that the new profile worked earlier; it was a quick test.

I have not set up any of my customization that you suggested may be the culprit.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I took a screenshot to illustrate the issue:

The window at the back is my drafts folder, with the email in the viewing pane. When I right click the message at the top ("This is the most recent version...") it opens up the other three windows shown. I've had the email composer open and have been typing numbers in every so often. As you can see, each time I edit the email it auto-saves, with the top window being the most recent version. But in order to get to that version, I have to click to open all other versions of the email.

In my work process, email composition often takes a while, so this happens often, sometimes with dozens of "versions", and I have to find the most recent (not always easy) and close all the others. It's super frustrating.

Any ideas are appreciated.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

bump

Anyone have suggestions?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was kinda hoping the Anniversary Update would fix this. It didn't.

Anyone have ideas?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

One more comment: When I print an email that is in-progress, Outlook will not print the most recent version (the version that I see and am working on on the on screen). Rather, it will print the version that was first saved...

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 10, 2024 Views 44,779 Applies to: