Outlook keeps asking for login credentials

Outlook 2016 (O365) (Version 1812 Build 11126.20196 Click-to-Run)

I have two Microsoft Exchange Accounts configured on the Outlook. Both are organisation accounts. While one is working absolutely fine, since yesterday, for the second account, the Windows Security box keeps popping up asking for credentials. I have checked for 'Always prompt for logon credentials' and that is unchecked. Please help! Thank you.  

Hi RJ.esquire,

Thanks for post your question here.

About this issue, I suggest we can exit all Office products and try clearing the password caches in the Control Panel > User Accounts > Manage your credentials and remove all credentials for Microsoft, Outlook or Lync, then restart the computer to see if it helps.

Moreover, if you are using an Office 365 account, we highly recommend you to use the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant tool to troubleshoot this issue.

Please feel free to post back if above methods doesn't help you fix this issue and to help you better, please provide following information for further analysis:

1. Can you sign in your account in the web mail app? You can check this via this link if you are an Office 365 user.

2. Do other users in your organization have encountered this issue?

3. Please capture a screenshot of the pop-up message you received and send it to us.

Regards,

Jennifer

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* We are happy and always here to help you, and share the Microsoft 365 for business online information with you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Jennier,

Thank you for the reply. My reply to your queries:

1. Tried deleting password caches, does not work. 

2. Yes, can sign through web mail app. 

3. Dont think others are facing this issue. 

4. I will send the screenshot shortly. 

Thanks a ton again. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi RJ.esquire,

Thanks for your information. You can provide the screenshot to us at your convenience.

Have you changed the password or turn on two-step verification for your affected account recently? If you are not clear about whether your account has been set up two-step verification, you can confirm it with your admin.

Since you mentioned you have two Exchange account configured in Outlook, may I know if they are in a same profile? If you set the affected account in a independent profile, please try to repair your Outlook Data File as following:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/repair-outlook-data-files-pst-and-ost-25663bc3-11ec-4412-86c4-60458afc5253

If they are in a same profile, please try to create a new profile for the affected account to check the outcome. (If you are using Office 365 for Business account, just configure it automatically with autodiscover)

Thanks,

Iry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Iry, Jennier,

I have attached the screenshot for your reference. You will note that there are two exchange accounts configured in outlook. Regarding profile, may I request you to please explain that how can I check whether both the accounts are in the same profile. Thanks a ton for the help. Highly obliged.

(removed some information in the screenshots by moderator to protect your privacy)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi RJ.esquire,

If you have multiple profiles, when you open Outlook, you will get following option to choose profile (before it, please confirm that option "Prompt for a profile to be used" has been selected in control panel):

After you selected one and click OK, then you can see the accounts in this profile. So, from your screenshot, you set up two accounts in this profile. So, please try to create a new profile for the affected account as I mentioned, and then open Outlook with new profile.

Thanks,

Iry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Iry,

Thank you for the explanation. I checked and note that there is only one profile. Attaching the screenshot for your reference. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi RJ.esquire,

Yes, so, you configured the two accounts in a profile. Please try to create a new profile for the affected account as I mentioned in my previous reply to check the outcome. 

Note: Before creating the new profile, please clear your Windows credential as following first:

1. Type "Credential Manager” in the search box of your computer >> Click on “Credential Manager”.

2. Click “Windows Credentials” > “Generic Credentials”, you will most likely see the entries about your email account.

3. Delete them. 

After you created the new profile, please open Outlook with the new profile and check if the issue persists.

If the issue still occurs in the new created profile, please try to test email AutoConfiguration as following: 

1. Press Ctrl button and hold on, click the Outlook icon on the right-bottom corner.

2. Then click "Test Email AutoConfiguration..."

3. Input your email address and password, click Test.

Since it's unavailable to copy and paste Results, please take some screenshots for your Results. And for the XML, you can select all contents and use Ctrl + C to copy them, and then you can paste to a txt document. 

Please send the Results screenshots and XML txt file to us in Private Message.

Thanks,

Iry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi RJ.esquire,

May I know if creating a new profile works for you?

Thanks,

Iry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi RJ.esquire,

Thanks for your information in PM. You can upload your file via Upload file option in PM as following capture:

Thanks,

Iry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi RJ.esquire,

Can you upload your file now?

Thanks,

Iry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2024 Views 14,407 Applies to: