Outlook is crashing after the last Windows Update yesterday.

Actually there are three symptoms/issues.  Outlook will randomly crash (seem like when it is trying to get mail).  The passwords to my three accounts have to be re-entered frequently even through I have save checked.  I have two Gmail accounts set up in Outlook.  I've had to delete and re-add to get Outlook to retrieve messages.

[  Moved from Outlook / Windows 10 / Microsoft 365 Apps or Office 365 Business  ]

Hello Donald Herbert,

About Outlook crash issue, if you received any error message when issue occurred, you can share one full screenshot of it with us here for checking. When it crashed, try to use safe mode for test:

• Right-click the Start button, search and open Run app.
  • Type Outlook.exe /safe, and click OK.

Try to reboot device, temporarily disable all antivirus, firewall software for some of them may cause confliction.

About Outlook keeps asking password, please kindly try to clear account related caches in Windows Credential Manager (you can back up credential cache first). Since issue has been occurring after last Windows Update, you could also try to check updates for entire Microsoft 365 App suite to make sure it’s in the latest version.

Besides, for issue about new messages, you could switch a different network just to test the issue, for issue can be caused by current network connection, especially if there’s any change made on network. If convenient, you can also try to update app password for one impacted account to see if it can make any difference (if you’re using IMAP and POP protocol and enabled 2-step authentication.)

Kind Regards,

Anna

-----------------------

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I cleared out all credentials using the Credential manager.  Outlook is still asking for account passwords.  I closed it to restart and now it won't open.  (icon in icon tray says it's closing). No error message is displayed.  Can't restart Windows because "Outlook is closing" had to use "close anyway" option to restart computer.

APPCRASH Report was sent to MS by system

GMail is not being retrieved in Outlook. 

GMail  opens fine if I open from browser.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Donald Herbert,

According to issue symptom, I recommend you try to quick repair entire Microsoft 365 App suite, if quick repair doesn’t help, you can then try to online repair it. Please be kindly noted that the process of online repair is almost equal to performing a re-installation, you’ll need to back up Outlook and Microsoft 365 local data first to prevent unexpected data loss: Repair an Office application.

Moreover, may I know the Microsoft 365 suite product you’re using (Word or any Microsoft 365 app you can open-> File -> Account) as well as its full version number?

For Outlook, try to create a new Outlook profile to see if you can open it (please kindly note do not remove the old profile to prevent data loss):

1. Open Control Panel->User Accounts->Mail-> Show Profiles…

2. In general tab of the prompt window, click Add->name the new profile and configure one impacted account to it.

3. In general tab, select “Prompt for a profile to be used”, then save the changes.

4. Restart Outlook with this profile to test again.

When test issue on Outlook, please temporarily disable third-party anti-virus and firewall software to avoid interfering. Some anti-virus may have impact on Outlook performance.

Kind Regards,

Anna

-----------------------

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is my Product information.  Note that it seems that I have to reenter all of my passwords or sign in when I want to use a product. (Asking for my MS Account).

I will try your recommendations and let you know the outcome.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yesterday I turned off my WebRoot virus protection then created a Test Profile and added the accounts that are giving me problems.  At first just one account.  This worked fine so I added the other two.  I left these running all day and checked emails on my GMail account and they matched.  I then turned my WebRoot back on and again monitored email.  Everything was ok until this morning.  When I opened Outlook I got the requests from all accounts to enter my user name and password.  I have just now discovered that MS Window Security was active and had run a virus scan at 6:12 AM.  So this is running in the background.  I will try turning this off and running the test again with a new profile.  

Sorry this didn't help.

One more note.  I also found that when I get these errors I am also sign out of my MS account.

It's like that all my credentials are being corrupted.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ran another test this morning with the Windows Defender turned off but still encountered the problem.   Outlook has not "crashed" but it shows an error and asked for my log in stuff again.

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Donald Herbert,

Since there’re more than one errors on Outlook, I recommend that you may try to create a new Windows local account, use this account to sign in Windows, than test Outlook to see if issue is caused by Windows profile corruption. Besides, you may check this article and try methods which you haven’t performed: Error occurs when you send or receive an email message in Outlook or Outlook Express.

You can use Office 365 SaRA tool and try to diagnose it: How to scan Outlook by using the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant.

To better handle this issue, this thread will be moved to Microsoft 365 Family category to ensure you receive dedicated support.

Kind Regards,

Anna  

-----------------------

Sorry this didn't help.

I had these same issues.  I had to do a fresh windows install, saving my files.  This seems to have cured everything, but you will have to re install any windows programs.  I wonder if having an older office package is causing issues.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 5, 2020 Views 713 Applies to: