Outlook has exhausted all shared resources error

I often get an "Outlook has exhausted all shared resources" error when using Outlook.

It has been suggested to me that Outlook stores a cache of my PST files to improve performance and my problem may be due to the number and size of PST files I have. I am a heavy email user receiving around 500 emails per day spread across about 50 email accounts. If I look in my Documents > Outlook files folder I can see 52 files with a total size of around 21GB.

Is it possible to either disable the cache or reduce the amount of memory reserved for each PST cache?

I am using Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013 version 15.0.489.1003

A friend has suggested that I split my email activity between several profiles but if I do this I cannot work out how to view all the emails from all the profiles together as it seems I would need to be constantly switching between profiles in order to check emails which seems an incredible waste of time. If this is the only option is there a way I can display emails sent to multiple profiles together?

Question Info

Last updated August 23, 2019 Views 15,385 Applies to:

You can reduce the cache as suggested here; Out of memory when opening a pst-file

However, it would be wiser to look at ways to decrease the amount of pst-files that you have connected. Note that you can set your accounts to deliver the same pst-file. For instance, they can be set to deliver to the same Inbox folder or each account can have a dedicated subfolder under the Inbox folder or at root level.

See: Combine Inbox folders of multiple POP3 accounts in Outlook 2010, 2013 or 2016

Going by the total size alone, you should split it over 2 or 3 pst-files to make sure you won't get any performance degradation. So you can split your accounts evenly amongst them or choose to split them between "most used", "less used" and "archive"; It's your pick ;-)

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
https://www.howto-outlook.com
https://www.msoutlook.info

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Roady,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried adding UseLegacyCacheSize to
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\PST
but doing so stops Outlook starting.

An Error Box appears saying:
Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened.

If I delete the UseLegacyCacheSize key Outlook starts ok.

I think I need to look further into your other suggestions about reorganising my PST files.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Roady,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried adding UseLegacyCacheSize to
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\PST
but doing so stops Outlook starting.

An Error Box appears saying:
Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened.

If I delete the UseLegacyCacheSize key Outlook starts ok.

I think I need to look further into your other suggestions about reorganising my PST files.

hi, i've been running into this problem periodically as well and combining profiles, pst's, etc. is not an option for me (i've already condensed as much as i can) so i did some further noodling and found this article that has the registry entries for all versions of outlook and advice as to limits to set the file sizes at:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/832925/how-to-configure-the-size-limit-for-both-.pst-and-.ost-files-in-outlook

hopefully, others looking for answers will find this helpful.

kind rgds,

Szz

Sorry this didn't help.