Outlook for Office 365: Google Data Privacy/Security Leak via Outlook via IMAP connection

If you have gmail ported through MS Outlook you may want to catch this tidbit. Microsoft Why is it that you need access into my gmail data within Outlook for Office 365? I have used this for years as is and this level of access has never ever been needed or requested before. Can I not display and use google mail within Outlook anymore without you Microsoft Apps & Services being able to read, compose, send, AND permanently delete all email from gmail? Uhmmm no!This is.... buggy folks and a definite security flaw.

If anyone else has this issue, plz let me know what was done to fix it. I would never hit Allow to this. I would rather use a non Microsoft email program going forward. The dialog box before this one suddenly appeared today - asking for my gmail username and password upon a send and receive action. For those that have their gmail accounts within Outlook, you know that gmail doesn't accept your normal gmail password, but needs an application specific password setup just for your mail client or other usage. That dialog box did NOT accept my application specific password as it should have. I gave it my actual google gmail password and I then got to this dialog box asking for "the world". Further, this started @ 8:40 PM CST yesterday. A/V = OK. Anyone else seeing this? Lets discuss plz?

This is an explicit data privacy leak (if allowed) per = https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4132681/what-microsoft-apps-and-services-is-and-how-it-enables-connection-to-yNo MS, you don't need to be reading my email or checking out my google drive files.  ALL Users, be warned and on the lookout for this if you use gmail within Outlook. I'll be reaching out to Google for comment on this. I sure could use some help if someone has that connect...

It seems that at least 40 other people has this exact question and concern = https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windos-and-google/8d90736f-9fa4-4ac5-b137-240da3e87a32

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This does not answer or help the discussion above, only posted for those that do not know = https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/21/how-to-stop-apps-from-accessing-my-google-info.html

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Tariq3Khan,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. However, this is expected behavior. If you have a Google account added to Outlook earlier this is new release of improved authentication experience for Google IMAP accounts, you will need to sign-in using the browser to connect to your account. You will be asked to allow Outlook to access your mail, contacts, and calendars.

Moreover, if you have any further concern about this behavior please visit the link Outlook Suggestion Box to submit your comment/feedback. Our Outlook team is actively monitoring this forum.

Your time and understanding will be highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Shyamal
---------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* We are happy and always here to help you, and share the Microsoft 365 for business online information with you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree. 

There is no need for Outlook to require its own separate authentication step to allow me to access an account via IMAP.   If GOOGLE wishes to add extra authentication steps, that's their call, not Microsoft's.

I see no need to allow Microsoft to have full access to my Google data anymore than I would allow Google full access to my Microsoft data.

Since this seems to be unavoidable, I now just access my gmail accounts with Thunderbird.  No special logins or allowing additional parties full access to the data.

This only started happening in the last few days for me, and only on Outlook 2019.  I find this change to be invasive, unwelcome, and cause for me to leave Office 365 when my subscription is up.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 6, 2024 Views 1,147 Applies to: