Outlook for Mac search results are incomplete

For some of our users, but one in particular, searching in Outlook for Mac O365, version 16.23, gives incomplete results. This user has had this problem for over a year. We tried the Index repair tool for Mac, tried to re-index by removing and re-adding the folder to Spotlight, but nothing really helped. Most emails come up in the search results, but some remain missing. Moving a specific email to another folder and back to the inbox again, will make this email appear in search results, but this does not solve the problem as it is not clear why only some emails are not indexed.

Because of this issue, his laptop was re-installed a few weeks ago, so his search index is brand new, but he still has the same search problems. For example, searching a contact name gives most of the emails received from this contact, but an email received a few days ago is not included in the search results. Why???

I checked OWA, and the search problem does not exist there. 

I have tried all suggestions I found in my online research, but this does not solve the incomplete search results (most emails are found, some are not).

This user keeps al of his email in his inbox, which makes the folder huge. When he first reported the problems, his inbox was about 6 GB in size and is currently 13 GB. Could this be related?

Answer
Answer

Hi Evelien van Meel,

Thanks for post your question in our forum. From your description, when searching in Outlook for Mac, Outlook return incomplete results.

Firstly, if this user is encountering this issue when using Outlook on Mac OS Mojave, then Microsoft is aware of this issue and our related team is investigating the issue currently. As the OWA works correctly, please let the affected user uses OWA as a workaround, we are sorry for the inconvenience.

However, if the user OS is not Mojave, then the uer may try downloading and using the Outlook Search Repair tool to see if it can help to fix this issue.

If above tool doesn't fix this issue, to assist you better, it is highly recommended to contact our Outlook for Mac experts to get further suggestions. You can contact them directly in Outlook client by doing to Help > Contact Support.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

Best regards,

Jennifer

---------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 3, 2020 Views 2,552 Applies to: