Outlook Error 0x8004210A - Can't Receive EMail

There are hundreds of people posting this problem but I think my situation is different.

Yesterday morning Outlook was sending and receiving email with no problems. It has done that for the past 3 years, though occasionally I did get the error code but on retrying the problem went away.

Yesterday though, about two hours after I booted up, email retrieval stopped. I kept getting the error message all day. I restarted multiple time, checked all the ports, etc, but the problem kept up. I can send emails, but could not receive. I was able to see my incoming mail only by going to my ISP's web site and looking at it there.

I shut down for the night.

This morning I booted and started Outlook. To my surprise I found all of yesterdays emails were now in my inbox. I was overjoyed, but only briefly. I sent an email with no problem. But then I noticed that Outlook was now going out to retrieve incoming emails and it was showing the progress bar, but nothing was happening. Then I got the error message again, and I have kept getting it for the past 3 hours. I have restarted Outlook three times and still have the problem.

What happened that on an overnight shutdown and boot I was able to receive emails, but not after? Obviously my system is configured correctly. Right Ports, SSL's, etc., AND Norton was running before anything else was started.

This problem has existed since 2003 on all versions of Outlook and yet there is no fix from Microsoft. Who do we have to contact there to get this fixed once and for all?  None of the answers I have seen on multiple boards have gotten anywhere near to solving the problem.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

For us to further isolate the issue, we'd like to ask you a few questions:

• Which version of Outlook are you using?
  • Are you also experiencing this using a different device?

We look forward to your reply. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am on Outlook 2013, Office Home & Business 2013. I am on Version 15.0.4875.1001 of Office Updates. Windows 7, 6.1.7601 SP1 Build 7601.

On my laptop, running Win 10 2016 and Outlook 2016. I am having NO problems accessing my ISP and retrieving emails on the laptop.

An associate of mine, running the same system, same settings, same OS as me is having no problems.

I have powered down and restarted three time this morning and each time Outlook retrieves all the emails that hadn't yet been retrieved. So on 1st shutdown and reboot it retrieved emails from 2 days ago, yesterday and this morning. On the 2nd shutdown and reboot it retrieved emails that arrived since the last shutdown. And on the last shutdown and restart, prior to which I sent emails to various email addresses from my wife's email account, it retrieved all of those. But each time, after it retrieved those emails immediately after the reboot and restart it does not retrieve any more emails that may arrive at my POP server and just gives me the error message.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just a followup. The retrieval on Power up restart continues. Outlook will only retrieve emails after a total power down and restart of the Outlook application. Once it does that retrieval it refuses to retrieve any more until a power down and restart. I shut down each night and restart the next morning, and that is when I get yesterday's emails.

Any progress on this?

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please follow the steps provided on the article about Error occurs when you send or receive an email message in Outlook or Outlook Express.

If you still encounter the error, please update your Security info & security codes and we advise that you change your Microsoft account password.

Keep us updated on the result.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Jessica,

I read all the suggestions in the first link, which I have also done a few days ago, most of which do not apply to this problem. I also repaired Outlook 20013 by running my Office CD and installing again. Which, by the way, must also reinstall Word and Excell as it clears out my previous documents list. Is there any way to just reinstall Outlook, or repair just Outlook? And if I did that, can I then copy my pst files back into the new, fixed, installed version? 

In any case the problem still exists.

As for the second link, I do not understand what Security Info & Codes I am supposed to change in Outlook 2013.

Also, as I have previously pointed out, when I run Outlook right after I boot up, it retrieves all of my email. The problem is that it does not retrieve email after that. So obviously all of my settings are correct, my ISP is performing, and there are no security problems. An Outlook works, but only one time on each boot up.

Surely there is some Outlook problem that occurs after the first time it retrieves emails.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you also tried these steps here: How to repair your Outlook personal folder file (.pst)?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For the past two weeks I've been unable to retrieve emails in Outlook 2013. However on my laptop, running Outlook 2016, I have had no problem.

Now, starting yesterday, Outlook started to retrieve emails. I made no changes, Windows had no updates.

So, I no longer need any help here, but it sure would be nice to know what caused it. Since the laptop and the PC both access the same ISP, and the settings are identical on both machines, I can only think that something is different in Outlook 2013, and in all versions of Outlook since at least 2007.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, I spoke too soon. The problem went away but only for a day and I've been too busy to post. So, here's what I did. I switched to a wired connection. That did not help. I started shutting down during the day so that on restart Outlook would download my mail. It would continue working fine for as long as an hour or two, Then I would get the same error messages.

The frustrating thing is that my wife's laptop, running W10 and Outlook 2016 has no problems. And while I get the timeout messages she has never gotten even one. When I'm having the problem she is not.

So I am back now asking someone at Microsoft to tell me how to get this fixed without having to buy W10 and Office 2016.

Does anyone at Microsoft believe there is a problem?  Or do they think that all the posts for the past years are just hallucinations.

I have done speed tests on my connection, I have checked all the setting on all my email account and all of them have the correct settings. I have shut off Norton and I still get the problem. I have started my PC and only loaded Outlook. I have done everything that Microsoft's responders have asked and the problem still exists. It's obvious to me too that my ISP does not have a problem and is somehow giving my wife's laptop excellent connectivity and giving me poor.

Anyone?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this exact same issue that started yesterday.  Have you managed to find any fix?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No. But the problem has gone away for the past month or so. I think the issue had to do with my ISP but they will never admit it. There was another possible cause but I can't prove it. I was unable to PING or TRACERT successfully. I called Norton and their tech said some of the firewall settings were causing the problem. He uninstalled and reinstalled Internet Security and fixed the PING/TRACERT problem. About that same time my Outlook problem seems to have gone away as well as a problem with Firefox loading tabs very slowly. Maybe it was all related. My suggestion for now is uninstall Norton and reinstall it, assuming you use it. Good luck.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 14, 2023 Views 5,561 Applies to: