Outlook email issue - Error (0x800CCC92) email server rejected log in.

I have had this error crop up many times over the years. I am on Outlook 2013. I have seen many suggested solutions, tried some, but nothing has helped. My current situation is this.

I have 4 email accounts. Account 1 gives me the error most mornings for 3 to 6 hours and then suddenly starts working normally. Essentially I cannot send or receive mail from or to that account. Account 2 give me the message sometimes, but not continually, and mail is delivered/retrieved correctly minutes later. Accounts 3 and 4 do not have this problem. I use them very little but Outlook is set to check them every 5 minutes and it never fails. I am able to send and receive test messages at will for these two accounts.

Fortunately I can use AOL's web site to see my mail for Account 1 but it means I cannot save those emails in an Outlook folder.

By the way, when I want to send email from my account 1 address I have Outlook change the from address to 2, 3 or 4 and it gets sent. If I try to send from the account 1 address I get the same error.

So my problem is account 1 which is the major traffic initiator. I do not understand why it can go for hours failing and then start working normally. Sometimes it can go for the entire day (I'm running Outlook from 6:30am to 7pm).

Is there anyone here who has actually fixed the problem on their machine? Or does everyone just live with it?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Since you list AOL as the main problem account, how is configured, POP or IMAP?  Are the other accounts configured the same way?  If not, how are they configured and who are the email providers for them?
Hal Hostetler, CPBE
Broadcast Engineer/IT Pro
MVP-Outlook - WA7BGX
www.rolandschorr.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

They are configured as POP. All are configured the same way. All are AOL accounts that I can access via AOL.

By the way, just a brief off topic question. I received an email, just like I got from you, that purported to come from Microsoft which I posted below. I was suspicious but called anyway to see what happened. The agent? She had me log onto www.fastsupport.com and then wanted to access my PC. At that point I balked and when I asked how do I know this is really MSFT she said I could hang up if I was concerned. Which I did. I am sure MSFT does not email people who post on the board.

jerrylara has replied to your question Outlook email issue - Error (0x800CCC92) email server rejected log in. in Microsoft Community.

Thank You For Posting in Microsoft Community. Call Microsoft online support +1-888-344-0222 Between 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM EST. We will Help you to fix your Issues.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, POP accounts, thanks!  Is that the entire text of the error code?  If there are more words in it, please post the whole thing, word for word (the devil often hides in the details). 

That error code usually has one of three causes - improper credentials (user name, password, port numbers, SSL/TSL settings, etc.), issues with the email servers, themselves (usually temporary and often sporadic), and, for POP accounts, problems with the local .PST file.  Credential problems are constant and permanent, until the incorrect setting(s) is/are fixed and .PST file issues can be dealt with by the Inbox Repair Tool.  Server issues can only be fixed by contacting the email provider (AOL, in this case) and beating on them until they fix it.  Here are some additional links on the Inbox Repair Tool:

Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe)

Using the Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe)

How to repair a damaged Outlook Personal Folders file (pst)

As to the issue you raised about "Microsoft Support", that post you listed is commercial Spam and does NOT come from Microsoft.  

Hal Hostetler, CPBE
MVP-Outlook - WA7BGX
www.rolandschorr.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The entire text is this, address modified, and is the message that details the progress, or reason for the fail. There is another message that pops up first that just asks you to enter your User Name and Password and shows the server name pop.verizon.net.

Task '*** Email address is removed for privacy *** - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC92) : 'Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings. The server responded: -ERR [SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later.'

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"The server responded: -ERR [SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later." means the email server, itself, is unhappy.  This is an AOL email server problem, not Outlook.
Hal Hostetler, CPBE
MVP-Outlook - WA7BGX
www.rolandschorr.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

First, I ran scanpst.exe which found and corrected some errors in the pst, but that did nothing for the problem. When I restarted Outlook the same error occurred.

As for it being an AOL problem, no surprise to me. Nothing else made sense especially as I expect later today, or tomorrow to find Outlook working just fine.

Now I need to figure out how to get AOL to admit THEY are the problem.

Thanks for your confirmation.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just a followup. Late  yesterday, after 5pm, all my emails for Account 1 were retrieved by Outlook with no problems. In addition, this morning on starting up Outlook, all my emails that arrived overnight were retrieved with no problems. Just incredible and I did nothing. But obviously AOL did something, either physically or within their server farm.

By the way, this is their advice they sent me late yesterday. Does that make sense?

-----------------------------

First of all, please also try to update to the latest version of Outlook. 
Additionally, please also try to use pop.aol.com instead of pop.verizon.net, as they can work both in email applications.

POP3 Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.verizon.net or pop.aol.com
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.verizon.net
Make sure SSL encryption is enabled for the incoming and outgoing mail server.
POP3 - 995 - SSL
SMTP - 465 - SSL
IMAP Incoming mail server (IMAP): imap.aol.com
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.verizon.net
Make sure SSL encryption is enabled for the incoming and outgoing mail server.
IMAP - 993 - SSL
SMTP - 465 - SSL

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had this error crop up many times over the years. I am on Outlook 2013. I have seen many suggested solutions, tried some, but nothing has helped. My current situation is this.

I have 4 email accounts. Account 1 gives me the error most mornings for 3 to 6 hours and then suddenly starts working normally. Essentially I cannot send or receive mail from or to that account. Account 2 give me the message sometimes, but not continually, and mail is delivered/retrieved correctly minutes later. Accounts 3 and 4 do not have this problem. I use them very little but Outlook is set to check them every 5 minutes and it never fails. I am able to send and receive test messages at will for these two accounts.

Fortunately I can use AOL's web site to see my mail for Account 1 but it means I cannot save those emails in an Outlook folder.

By the way, when I want to send email from my account 1 address I have Outlook change the from address to 2, 3 or 4 and it gets sent. If I try to send from the account 1 address I get the same error.

So my problem is account 1 which is the major traffic initiator. I do not understand why it can go for hours failing and then start working normally. Sometimes it can go for the entire day (I'm running Outlook from 6:30am to 7pm).

Is there anyone here who has actually fixed the problem on their machine? Or does everyone just live with it?

Greetings PlanoMike,

I had this problem with aol email from verizon in my outlook. It got to the point where I wasn't able to send/receive any mails.

I called Microsoft tech (800-642-7676) help and they fixed it. Paid $30 for a one time fee.

They simply went to my aol.com account online and did this. Depending on what e-mail provider you have, you will have to find the equivalent settings.

Go to:   Options / Account info / Account security

When you are there, there is this option "Allow apps that use less secure sign in" . You turn this on to allow your outlook to send/receive emails. Technician said that people with gmail and other mail providers need to do this step. Outlook worked immediately after doing this.

I hope it works for you.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the exact same problem with one of my two aol/Verizon accounts. It happens intermittently and sometimes will go away once I use a new password. But just changed passwords this week and don't want to do it again on all my devices. There must be a reason for this. I've tried what has bee suggested in this article
thanks, Y

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm running into the same issue - suggestions on how to fix. AOL is useless

thanks

thanks, Y

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 21, 2024 Views 2,124 Applies to: