Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server

I have two email accounts that I "USED TO" be able to receive messages from on my OUTLOOK client.  For a month, or more, I have been unable to receive (or send) my messages on OUTLOOK.  The following are the error messages:

Task 'xxx@EL - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Task 'xxx@Gmail - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

My server administrator (me) is unable to solve this nagging problem even after trying umpteen tweaks of the account setup.  I had hoped that my automatic Windows Updates may eventually solve this problem (It has happened once before) but I have had no luck this time.

My ISP is WOW but they are OK as I am able to use OUTLOOK on other computers through their service without any problems.

"What has changed MICROSOFT?" 

Thanks.

Answer
Answer

Hi Ahmed,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query. I will certainly help you with this Issue.

You may start the computer in clean boot mode and then try to work with Outlook and check if it works as expected.

Starting the computer in clean boot mode would disable all the non-Microsoft applications and the antivirus which could be one of the reasons for the error.

Refer the article below to start the computer in clean boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Disclaimer: Ensure to restart the computer in normal mode after completing the troubleshooting steps.

You may also try the troubleshooting steps provided in the article below for send and receive error and check if it helps:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/813514

Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance, we will be happy to help you.

Thank You.

Deepak K,
Microsoft Support Engineer.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 28, 2024 Views 5,618 Applies to: