Outlook cannot connect to SMTP server, POP3 account that has no encryption.

Hi, although my error message is a common one, my issue seems to be quite different.

Our email server is located in our office, the log in details have been the same for 10 years:

POP3

incoming mail server: mailadmin.domain.com

Port:110

Server does not require SSL encryption

Does not require SPA

username: email address

password: password

outgoing mail server: mailadmin.domain.com

Port: 25

Server does not require SSL

Does not require SPA

username: email address

password: password

These settings have worked throughout Outlook 2003-2016. I had my email set up and working on Win10 Creators Update, Office 2016 (part of 365 subscription) for months until I needed to reinstall Windows for other reasons. After downloading Outlook 2016 again I'm trying to set up my email account and keep getting the error: "we couldn't connect to the outgoing (SMTP) server using the specified encryption method. Please check the outgoing (SMTP) server encryption method and try again. We have never used encryption for the outgoing mail server because the server is on our LAN. I currently have 6 other PCs set up on the network, using outlook 2016 (same 365 subscription) without any encryption and they connect fine.

Does anyone know what's going on? Despite the settings above being correct, I have tried the usual advice (due to running out of options) Changing port from 25 to 587 or even 465 doesn't work either.

I've been able to create a workaround but this might not be something others can replicate. We also have use of an external mail server for outgoing mail (so that reps can use laptops/mobiles outside of our LAN). 

outgoing mail server: host.domain.co.uk

Port: 26

username: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

password: password

SSL on (TLS)

Once Outlook accepted these credentials and opened up, I was able to go to File > Account Settings > Change > and get the familiar screen, where I could change everything back. Test Connection and subsequent Auto Send & Receive will connect, download and send emails using mailadmin.domain.com as SMTP server with no SSL or Encryption, absolutely fine. 

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi ChrisJMadden,

Thanks for your sharing, I am glad to hear this issue has a workaround. And now you can setup your account to Outlook again. If you need any further assistance, please feel free contact us.

And there is a reference about how to setup POP account to Outlook for you, you can check it.

Regards,

Richard

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have exactly the same problem : when I reinstalled windows 10 and office 365, I was unable to setup my email account in outlook 2016. And very unfortunately, I don't have the work around ChrisJMadden has. 

So,Microsoft, please work out a fix/solution to this ASAP.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Gogo t kYung,

Sorry for the delay. Since same issue has different root cause, we suggest you open a new thread in our community for this issue for better support. Our engineer will be happy to work with you.

Thanks,

Richard

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Richard,

It took me 2 days (48 hours) to re-install windows 10 in my desktop and that why I was late to reply to you. 

However, before I open a new thread for the captioned POP account setup problem in windows 10, I think I must first open a new thread for a windows 10 re-start/restore problem.

How can I receive your email (since I failed to setup my email account in windows 10) ? by using my web mail account in hotmail - I submitted a forward request with the ISP of my hkbn.net email account and all emails to hkbn.net are now forwarded to my hotmail account. Very strange, I didn't encounter the same problem in seting up my hotmail account in the restored windows 10.

rgds,

Gogo 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Gogo,

As we mentioned, please open a new thread for your concern in corresponding forum since one thread for one issue. And this can help our community members who has same issue.

Thanks,

Richard

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I posted a question in the Microsoft forum titled :Pop/SMTP email account setup problem in Outlook of Windows 10 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Gogo,

Thanks for your information and then you can monitor this issue from the new thread.

Thanks,

Richard

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 25, 2023 Views 18,962 Applies to: