outlook cannot connect to incoming POP3 / IMAP server

hi all,

I have done some research on outlook not being able to setup either POP3 or IMAP connections with gmail. apparently this is microsoft's problem, but does anyone have any insight into this? I'm getting the error specified in this thread's title. I'm on MS OFFICE 2010 and I have windows 7 with all updates installed. I have tried setting my account up using both POP3 and IMAP, and both result in different errors. Here are the instructions i've followed:

IMAP: Check Gmail through other email platforms - Gmail Help

POP3: Read Gmail messages on other email clients using POP - Gmail Help

ive also included an IMAP error that i get when trying that method. One other thing...I tried going through this process with antivirus software installed and without antivirus software installed and I still got the same errors. My antivirus is Avira.

Answer
Answer

Your research is incorrect.

Uninstall your AV, and then re-boot your unknown win version

In MS Outlook if it starts for first use, prompting you to add a mail account, then use auto settup where only the mail address & password is required. to verify the Account.

I assume in Gmail web settings, two factor is not turned on.

If Outlook starts, as you have tried to add the mail account previously, within OL>File>Account Settings>Email Tab>New............. add the gmail account using only the mail address & password, once verified, in that email tab set this account as the default and delete the other Gmail account you had attempted to add previously.

Finish the process and allow to fully sync before doing anything

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 19, 2023 Views 1,074 Applies to: