Outlook 365/2016 keeps randomly dropping connection to MS Exchange server

This problem has been of increasing irritation since starting an MS Exchange account some months ago although I have been subcribed to Office 365 for almost exactly one year, with my subs being paid yesterday. I have read various posts on this subject and have followed various bits of advice all with no success. I have the same software setup on my laptop and there are no problems there. I have created a new profile on a couple of occasions, most recently today, and deleted the old one but this has made no difference. It causes most problems if I am writing a long email when it hangs the program and I lose all my text. Now I am forced to write these in Word and copy and paste across to Outlook which is hardly desirable. I have spent loads of time on the phone with the help disk of my service provider - iinet - and also the MS support, again all to no avail. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Office 365 and all my software is up to date. In all other aspects the PC is working well and doing what it should. It is just this part of Office i.e. Outlook and MS Exchange are the problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Frank

Hi Frank,

Would you please provide the following information to analyze the situation ?

- What's version of Outlook client are you using ?

- What's version of your O.S. ?

- Have you tried using Outlook Web Access and see if the similar problem occurs ?

- Would you also check if your O.S. has installed latest updates ?

Furthermore, Would you please Disable Hardware Accelerator and see if the issue still occur ?

Reference : www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-off-hardware-graphics-acceleration-office-2013

Best Regards,

Jatin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Jatin.

I am using Outlook 2016 and it was updated today along with the OS which is Windows 10 64bit. I don't know where to look to find the build version, if that is what you mean.

No, I haven't tried the Outlook Web Access but I will after this.

I have just now disabled the Hardware Accelerator but I trust this switch only applies to Outlook and is turned back on when I close Outlook down. (I run 2 x SLI cards for videoediting and won't wish to lose any punch there.)

Windows Update is set to automatic and did its thing about 6 hour ago.

Outlook dropped in and out while I was typing this reply.

I will now reboot and see if anything changes.

Frank

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Frank,

Yes, sure please try and let me know if after Disabling Hardware Accelerator in Outlook , does it resolves the issue or not ? No worries, it will not affect your working experience in Outlook.

And also it happens in OWA or not ?

Best Regards,

Jatin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I won't be able to tell for a while as the dropouts are unpredictably. However, disabling the hardware accelration has killed the SLI setup which will be a bit of a nuisance. I am about to swith to OWA and see what, if anything happens. It may not do a thing tonight.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sure.. Just try it and let's see if it works or not.

However again double confirm in simple words, After Disabling is it still crashing ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Can't say yet as it is not predictable. Still listening for the alarm sound that tells me if Outlook drops - then re-acquires - the server. Nothing has happened as yet since disabling hardware acceleration.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's been a couple of hours now and I haven't heard the alarm go off so this might be it, Jatin. I'll get back to you tomorrow if anything changes but I am not sufficiently an optimistic to state that my problem has been solved as of this moment.

It is still a bummer than my SLI arrangement is disabled when I turn off hardware acceleration, but I guess I can live with that as I only really need it for video editing and I can turn it on pretty easily.

Thanks for you help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Frank,

That's great to hear.

[my SLI arrangement is disabled when I turn off hardware acceleration] Have you disabled Hardware Accelerator for Outlook only or completely for your system ? My suggestion is for Outlook Client only to Disable.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, Jatin. I disabled hardware acceleration inside Options/Advanced for Outlook, but it disabled SLI for the whole computer. I re-enabled it but the computer became unstable and was doing weird things. As an example, one folder full of the recent output from a video project would consistently hang when I tried to change the View to Details. I coped the folder to another disk and it worked fine. I scanned the disk...anyway that's another problem so I won't go there, but thanks to your help, I think I am a good way down the road.

Regards

Frank

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Frank,

That's glad to hear. Could be the issue due to Hardware/Graphic card, however I believe it worked as suggested.

Disabled Hardware Accelerator in Outlook and issue has been resolved.

Reference : www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-off-hardware-graphics-acceleration-office-2013

Best Regards,

Jatin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 6, 2023 Views 4,504 Applies to: