Outlook 2019 stopped receiving Yahoo mail suddenly on March 15, 2021 at 10 am

After 2 or more years, my yahoo.com email stopped coming into my Outlook 2019 on March 15th around 10 am.  As a coincidence, it likewise stopped downloading into my iPhone.  I thought it might be a server issue.  But Wednesday evening, I went to the Yahoo webmail, and it was working just fine.  All the emails from 10 am on were on the Yahoo webmail site.

This morning I went into Yahoo mail and changed the password.  Then I went to my iPhone and changed the password.  Rather instantly, all the emails loaded onto my iPhone!  I tried the same thing in my Outlook, and I get "Something Went Wrong."  We couldn't log into your IMAP incoming mail server.  Check your email address and password and try again.

I tried over and over and over with the same email address and password that I used on my iPhone and the Yahoo webmail site.  I repeatedly get the same message.

I've checked and rechecked the settings info from AT&T on the Yahoo setting page where they say for incoming mail server use  imap.mail.yahoo.com and a port of 993.  For the outgoing server, use - smtp.mail.yahoo.com and a port of 465. Both use the encryption method of SSL/TLS.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there an issue with Outlook?  I've deleted the email address and tried this same ritual with Outlook in Safe Mode.

I would greatly appreciate your help because the frustration level is rising with each attempt!

|
Hi William,

Thank you for reaching out. I'm Adie, an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you. I'll be happy to help you out.

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. If Outlook won’t accept your password and you know you’re using the password for your Yahoo! account, your email account likely requires additional security. You'll need to generate and use an app password as described in the link below. An app password is a long and randomly generated code that gives the Outlook app permission to access your Yahoo account.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/can-...

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,
Adie

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi William,

Thank you for reaching out. I'm Adie, an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you. I'll be happy to help you out.

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. If Outlook won’t accept your password and you know you’re using the password for your Yahoo! account, your email account likely requires additional security. You'll need to generate and use an app password as described in the link below. An app password is a long and randomly generated code that gives the Outlook app permission to access your Yahoo account.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/can-...

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,
Adie

I have the same issue as William. ATT/Yahoo told me today (3/19) that it had substantially updated its email systems and the application password is no longer required or available to obtain. So, my ATT/Yahoo email is not downloading to my Outlook account. I tried removing and reinstalling my yahoo account in Outlook and now Outlook won't let me reinstall this account but offers no reason.  If anyone has resolved this, please help. I have used this Yahoo account in OUtlook for 35 years and I need it back.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was able to reestablish the ATT/Yahoo email in my Outlook 2019 by establishing a "Secure Mail Key."  It took an awful look of searching because AT&T and Yahoo are not really user-friendly.  I've used my current email address for nearly 25 years.  It dates back to the AT&T dial-up days.  Then when cable internet came along, it was a pay for an email address.  Now it free via Yahoo.

Try going into this link and create a Secure Mail Key.  Here is the link - https://www.att.com/support/article/email-support/KM1240308

Good Luck!!!!

Bill

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you that worked!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After 2 or more years, my yahoo.com email stopped coming into my Outlook 2019 on March 15th around 10 am.  As a coincidence, it likewise stopped downloading into my iPhone.  I thought it might be a server issue.  But Wednesday evening, I went to the Yahoo webmail, and it was working just fine.  All the emails from 10 am on were on the Yahoo webmail site.

This morning I went into Yahoo mail and changed the password.  Then I went to my iPhone and changed the password.  Rather instantly, all the emails loaded onto my iPhone!  I tried the same thing in my Outlook, and I get "Something Went Wrong."  We couldn't log into your IMAP incoming mail server.  Check your email address and password and try again.

I tried over and over and over with the same email address and password that I used on my iPhone and the Yahoo webmail site.  I repeatedly get the same message.

I've checked and rechecked the settings info from AT&T on the Yahoo setting page where they say for incoming mail server use  imap.mail.yahoo.com and a port of 993.  For the outgoing server, use - smtp.mail.yahoo.com and a port of 465. Both use the encryption method of SSL/TLS.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there an issue with Outlook?  I've deleted the email address and tried this same ritual with Outlook in Safe Mode.

I would greatly appreciate your help because the frustration level is rising with each attempt!

I had the same problem and I solved it. It does not matter if it is yahoo email or the legacy Ameritech email that is now part of Yahoo Mail. See below my solution that I posted on the ATT forum:

17 April 2021 - ATT Email Cannot LOGIN to your Desktop OUTLOOK 2010

I have an Ameritech email address that I have used for over 20 years. I had it setup with my Desktop Version of OUTLOOK 2010. Recently (about 10 April 2021) it stopped working. It kept asking me for my password but it could never login. I worked on this for a week and finally fixed the problem. Here is the deal: I was using my regular password. But now, ATT requires OUTLOOK to use a secure email key that you can generate if you login via the web and then go to "My Profile" to generate it.

Bye the way, my regular password still works to login via the web. The web link is different than last year. It is now at:  https://currently.att.yahoo.com/

All the settings I used before are the same. It does not matter if you use POP or IMAP. I use POP. The POP settings are still as follows: inbound.att.net with SSL and port 995; and outbound.att.net with SSL and port 465. Same as I had in 2020.

Now here is an interesting problem I ran up against. When you generate the secure key, it asks you to give it a "nickname". I mistakenly thought you could use the nickname and not the 16 digit secure key that ATT generates for you. NOT! ...and remember this, you MUST copy and paste the 16 digit secure key to your notepad (and save it) BEFORE you give it a nickname. If you do not, you can never view that 16 digit key again. You will have to delete it and generate a new one. I guess, if you need/have a lot of secure keys, then these nicknames will help you remember which key is for what. To me, it was just a point of confusion since it seemed to me that using the nickname was the same as using the secure key. But I was wrong.

I hope this helps people out there with the same problem. ATT was zero help. I chatted with over 10 people at ATT. Obviously, no one told me not to use the nickname and that I must use the actual 16 digit secure key that was generated.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had this same problem on multiple email accounts.  The support and/or explanation from ATT / Yahoo / AOL / Verizon is terribly lacking.  One of many frustrating things was that the problem happened slowly over time, first to my legacy AOL email account, then weeks later to a legacy ATT email account.  The secure mail key solution worked for me in Outlook Desktop, although it was very unclear that the original account password was still valid, just not when accessing from Outlook.  It has also created an access problem on my mobile device (iPhone) that remains unresolved.  

No notification.  No instructions or update.  It just worked one day, stopped working the next.  The lack of support and/or notification from the corporate bureaucracy at Verizon or ATT or wherever this business unit currently resides is unbelievable but not surprising.  The many hours spent trying to figure this out is the true cost of "free" email.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Worked for me too. Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Finally my desktop outlook worked with the creation of the SECURE MAIL KEY.

thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have 2 ATT email accounts set up in Outlook 2019. Yesterday afternoon one quit receiving emails. "Your email server rejected your login" but can still receive emails in my online Yahoo (ATT) account. Why do I need this special key to sync for one account but not the other?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Boy, I have absolutely no idea.  You would think AT&T would have the same requirements for each att.net email address.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 17, 2021 Views 560 Applies to: