Outlook 2016 "we couldn't create outlook data file" - can't re-add a mailbox

Hi, I removed an account from Outlook 2016 (the newest version after last updates), and wanted to re-add it. To remove I used a list "Email Accounts" placed in "Account settings". To re-add I'm using also standard option "New" placed in "Account settings" in Outlook. When I enter all the account data like IMAP, SMTP server address, username and password, it starts to create the account, even it sends a test e-mail and physically creates OST file on HDD. But suddenly I see a message:

Something went wrong.

We couldn't create the Outlook data file. Make sure the disk you're saving to isn't full or write protected and that the file isn't being used.

Of course I have plenty of sapce on my HDD, around 90 GBs of free space. Also I have access to the Outlook directory at c:\Users\Marcin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\ . I gave an extra full write+read rights to user "Everyone" on that folder. That didn't help. Also I tried to run Outlook as Administrator.

Everytime I try to add the account, it creates an OST file, names it with the following number like now I have 7 OST files in c:\Users\Marcin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\ named:

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***, *** Email address is removed for privacy ***(1).ost, *** Email address is removed for privacy ***(2).ost, *** Email address is removed for privacy ***(3).ost, *** Email address is removed for privacy ***(4).ost, *** Email address is removed for privacy ***(5).ost, ..., and so on. And If I remove them, they all are recreated when restarting Outlook. When I'm tryding to remove them from Outlook from tab "DataFiles" in "Account settings" it says that "this data file is associated with a mail account. To remove it use the Email tab", but in the Email tab I don't see this account.

My environment:

* Windows 10 Pro - Polish language version, last after updates

* MS Office 2016 - English language version, last after updates

Any ideas how I can solve this? Last days I've made and update of Office (it showed me that there are updates and I agreed). Maybe that is the reason because I added all my mail accounts to Outlook 1 month ago and it worked fine. Thanks in advance!

Question Info

Last updated January 16, 2020 Views 2,089 Applies to:
It sounds like the profile is corrupt. Delete the ost files and make a new profile.

If you want to try to rescue the profile, open the registry editor and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Profiles\ - open the profile key and go to 9375CFF0413111d3B88A00104B2A6676- you'll have subkeys named 00000nn - check each key - look at the data on the far left to see if any are for the account you are trying to add. if so, delete them. If that doesn't work, make a new profile.
Diane Poremsky [Outlook MVP]
Outlook Resources: https://www.slipstick.com
https://www.outlook-tips.net

** I don't work for Microsoft.**
** DO NOT CALL phone numbers received in email notifications.**

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I solved the issue by completly REMOVING MS Office 2016, and then installing it again. It removed the last update. And everything works now! So the problem is definately because the last update - beware! Now I turned off all the updates, because I wasted 3 hours today because of that!!!

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.