Outlook 2016: Outlook cannot log on. Verify you are connected to the network and are using the proper server and mailbox name.

I have Outlook 2016 I get this error message when I open:

"Outlook cannot log on. Verify you are connected to the network and are using the proper server and mailbox name. The Microsoft Exchange service in your profile is missing required information. Modify your profile to ensure that you are using the correct Microsoft Exchange information service."

I added a new business email to my Outlook and was having a hard time adding it in due to error unable to log on to the server. (Note I already had an existing email in Outlook which was working fine). After the nth attempt, I was able to successfully add it so I tried to send out an email. It wouldn't send out so I closed Outlook in the hopes of it working after restarting. But when I tried to open it again, it won't anymore. Help!

Question Info

Last updated September 21, 2019 Views 57,986 Applies to:

Hi Daisy,

According to the error message, it seems that the Outlook profile of your Office 365 account is corrupted.

Please try the following suggestions to see if the issue can be fixed:

1. Create a new Outlook profile.

support.microsoft.com/.../829918

2. Fix your Outlook email connection by repairing your profile.

support.office.com/.../Fix-your-Outlook-email-connection-by-repairing-your-profile-4d5febf6-7623-486b-9a9f-d5cfc4264af3

If the issue persists after performing the above suggestions, please provide us with the following information to narrow down the root cause of the issue:

1. The detailed version of the Outlook 2016 client. To check it, please click FILE > Office Account.

2. To determine if this is a client side issue, could you please set up your Office 365 account into the Outlook 2016 client of another PC? Does the same issue happen?

3. Regarding “It wouldn’t send out so I closed Outlook in hopes of it working after restarting”, is there a non-delivery report (NDR) bounced back? If yes, could you please share it with us via the private message?

To protect your privacy, I’ve sent you a private message to collect the information above. Please follow the link below to read it:

community.office365.com/.../conversations

Thanks,

Mouran

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

hi daisy,

thanks for the private message.

since you are not able to set up your account or repair the outlook profile because outlook client cannot be opened in the first place, it probably means the issue is related to the outlook client. to confirm it, please try the following suggestions to see if any progress will be made:

1. delete the registry keys under: hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\office\16.0\outlook\profiles\outlook

to do it, please type regedit in run.

2. try repairing the outlook 2016 client.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/repair-an-office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c5bb88b?ui=en-us&rs=en-us&ad=us

3. try running a clean boot:

support.microsoft.com/.../929135

3.   virus.

a. make sure the antivirus software is up to date, and do a full scan.

b. windows and office are up to date

4.      disable the add-ins to test the issue. for example, we can run outlook in safe mode by typing outlook.exe /safe in run. if outlook works properly in safe mode, one of the add-ins is likely the cause of the problem. remove the add-in. for more information, please refer to:

support.office.com/.../i-can-t-start-microsoft-outlook-2016-2013-or-2010-or-receive-the-error-cannot-start-microsoft-office-outlook-cannot-open-the-outlook-window-d1f69da6-b333-4650-97bf-4d77bd7abb85

if the issue persists after performing the above suggestions, please provide us with the following information:

1. how many users in your organization encountered the same issue? if you don’t know the information above, please contact the global admin of your organization to obtain the information.

2. if you ask another user who didn’t encounter this issue to set up his or her office 365 account into your outlook 2016 client, does the same issue occur?

3. how about upgrading the outlook 2016 client to the latest version?

4. you said that you are not able to set up the account, do you mean that you are not able to set up your office 365 exchange online account to any other outlook 2016 clients?

5. please also provide us with the detailed settings of the account in outlook client via the private message. to check it, please hold the ctrl key and click the outlook icon on the corner right side down, then click test email autoconfiguration.

thanks,

mouran

14 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Daisy,

Any updates on this thread?

Thanks,

Mouran

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mouran,

Thanks this has been fixed. We were able to speak with someone from your team and he was able to walk me through the process to get it fixed. Thanks so much for the help!

Sorry this didn't help.

In case anyone else runs into this error and is seeing the problem come back after creating a new profile please try the workaround in this KB article to ExcludeLastKnownGoodUrl, support.microsoft.com/.../3073002.  

We are seeing cases on this recently and still investigating root cause.  We think the problem is similar to the issue in this KB article support.microsoft.com/.../3049615.  Outlook receives an unexpected result from a third-party web server.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.