Outlook 2016; No Default Mail client Popup error message

PC running......Windows10 Creators Update, version 1703

Purchased Office Professional Plus 2016; which includes Outlook 2016.  Had been running Office 2007\Outlook 2007.

I Uninstalled Office 2007 before Installing Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016.....

I continue to get the following Popup Error message when I power on my PC (I don't think this message has popped up other than at Power on....not 100% certain).

"Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client"

What I have done:

1) Control Panel\Default Programs....set Outlook 2016 as the default Mail client

2) All Settings\Apps.....set Outlook 2016 as the default mail client

This error message reads...."Please RUN Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default Mail Client".  I am not aware of any setting in Outlook where you would open it and set it as the default Client.......

I saw a few Posts regarding this issue but did not find one where the issue was resolved......I do hope there is a fix.....and look forward to replies to resolve this issue.  

There is such a setting within Outlook - "File > Options > General tab > Startup Options" add a checkmark to the "Make Outlook the default program for Email, Contacts, and Calendar" checkbox.  I'm going to guess you'll find it already checked.

Outlook is Not Recognized as the Default Email Client

Hal Hostetler, CPBE
Broadcast Engineer/IT Pro
MVP-Outlook - WA7BGX
www.rolandschorr.com

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You are right on....that Block was checked; never knew it was there....so it is good I keep learning something new every day from others....

I unchecked it, saved it and than went back to setting and re-checked....probably will result in not resolving the issue with this popup...

Read the Link you sent; seemed the only step in the article would be to run a repair...but for now I am holding off; after-all, this is a 3 day New Install.  

Really weird; I did a Shutdown ....then restarted my PC, this Error Popup did not popup....so is it a "one per day" popup? Random?  Strange   

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

We'd like to know if you still encounter pop-up error regarding your default mail client when starting your device?

We'll appreciate if you can send us an update.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So as not to Jinks myself, I waited a few days to reply....and hope it was long enough!  

Its been 3 days with NO error poping up.  I hope it lasts.

I really didn't do anything scientific....I merely were thru all the default settings, 1st in Control Panel\Default programs....than within Outlook... File\Options\General\Start up Options...and even tho all were set to default to Outlook 2016...I changed the mail default to Mail ...saved it.  Than re-set it to Outlook 2016...with in Outlook 2016, I unchecked Start up Options, saved it, then re-checked it...saved......

And as I wrote, 3 days and counting and that error message has not appeased....hope it lasts

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We're glad to hear that your concern regarding Outlook 2016 has been resolved.

Feel free to post back if you have other concerns.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 34,400 Applies to: