I'm trying to help a user migrate to a new PC running Outlook 2016. On the the user's old PC, running Outlook 2013, the IMAP account in question works perfectly. On the new PC, the Send/Receive task hangs forever on the receive task (forever meaning in excess of 72 hours with no apparent progress). I realize MS forums are littered with questions about this problem for various versions of Outlook, but I have already tried all of the following:
- Deleting the IMAP account and recreating it
- Deleting the entire Outlook profile and recreating it
- Repairing Office
- Editing Send/Receive groups and unchecking "Get folder unread count"
- Editing Send/Receive groups so Inbox is the only folder in "receive mail items"
- Dialed offline mail in account settings down to 12 months
Unfortunately none of these suggested solutions made any difference. Receiving mail does work. If I close and re-open Outlook the newest messages do appear in the inbox. But then the receive task just keeps hanging forever and won't pull in any more new mail until the next time Outlook restarts.
Any further suggestions? Why is it so difficult to make Outlook work correctly with IMAP?