Outlook 2016 for mac search is not working. Have tried reindexing

Outlook 2016 for mac search is not working.  Have tried reindexing 

Also the category filter / unread mail is not working .... I don't really understand profile manager .... can I go to last time machine backup and restore the main profile?  

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by "...none of the spaces were 'escaped'". I'm not technical. I pasted the exact terminal command that I used - was it incorrectly done?

This is so frustrating. Not being able to search my inbox has effectively made it impossible for me to use Outlook. I have to log into the Online Web Access version to search my inbox, which is essential. I'm wondering if I made a mistake using Time Machine to migrate. Maybe I should've exported my downloaded Outlook email etc and relied on Exchange to synchronize the not-yet-downloaded email etc? Would Spotlight work if I do that?? My previous MacBook  Pro (the 2015 version) worked fine... Ugh.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

After i restored from a time machine backup, i repaired disk permissions and forced a reindex. i just did it through system preferences > Spot Light > Privacy > added Mac HD - restarted and took it pack out.  i don't think the restart is necessary, but i did it anyways. i 

Sorry this didn't help.

The command-line in the Terminal interprets spaces as a break in the chain of instructions. If you have a path with spaces in the, you need to "escape" them. You use a \ before the space to tell the command that this is a space in the path and not a new set of instructions.

Try using the shorter version of the command I provided in my last post instead.

I don't think you've done anything wrong. Sometimes Spotlight has issues and suffers from mysterious conflicts between document types and sometimes its the app itself.

Outlook could be at fault but most of the time, reindexing corrects the issue.

Corentin

I do *not* work for MS
Je ne travaille *pas* pour MS

Sorry this didn't help.

After i restored from a time machine backup, i repaired disk permissions and forced a reindex. i just did it through system preferences > Spot Light > Privacy > added Mac HD - restarted and took it pack out.  i don't think the restart is necessary, but i did it anyways. i 

FYI, the restart is not required.

Corentin

I do *not* work for MS

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm clearly not doing something right. I can't get the longer version (mdimport -g /Applications/Microsoft\ Outlook.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft\ Outlook\ Spotlight\ Importer.mdimporter -d1 /Users/jma/Library/Group\ Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook\ 15\ Profiles/Main\ Profile) or the shorter version (mdimport /Users/jma/Library/Group\ Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook\ 15\ Profiles/Main\ Profile) to work. 

This command:

mdimport -g /Applications/Microsoft\ Outlook.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft\ Outlook\ Spotlight\ Importer.mdimporter -d1 /Users/jma/Library/Group\ Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook\ 15\ Profiles/Main\ Profile

Leads to this result:

2017-01-16 18:10:25.152 mdimport[1753:96711] could not find path 'Outlook.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft\'
2017-01-16 18:10:25.152 mdimport[1753:96711] could not find path 'Outlook\'
2017-01-16 18:10:25.152 mdimport[1753:96711] could not find path 'Spotlight\'
2017-01-16 18:10:25.152 mdimport[1753:96711] could not find path 'Importer.mdimporter'
2017-01-16 18:10:25.152 mdimport[1753:96711] could not find path '-d1'
2017-01-16 18:10:25.152 mdimport[1753:96711] could not find path '/Users/jma/Library/Group\'
2017-01-16 18:10:25.152 mdimport[1753:96711] could not find path 'Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook\'
2017-01-16 18:10:25.152 mdimport[1753:96711] could not find path '15\'
2017-01-16 18:10:25.152 mdimport[1753:96711] could not find path 'Profiles/Main\'
2017-01-16 18:10:25.152 mdimport[1753:96711] could not find path 'Profile'
Usage: -mdimport [OPTION] path
-d debugLevel Integer between 1-4
-g plugin     Import files using the listed plugin, rather than the system installed plugins.
-p            Print out performance information gathered during the run
-A            Print out the list of all of the attributes and exit
-X            Print out the schema file and exit
-L            Print out the List of plugins that we are going to use and exit
-r            Ask the server to reimport files for UTIs claimed by the listed plugin.
-n            Don't send the imported attributes to the data store.
-o path       Write the imported attributes to a file, instead of sending them to the server.

[Process completed]

This command:

mdimport /Users/jma/Library/Group\ Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook\ 15\ Profiles/Main\ Profile

Leads to this result:

2017-01-16 18:13:09.713 mdimport[1794:98368] could not find path '/Users/jma/Library/Group\'
2017-01-16 18:13:09.713 mdimport[1794:98368] could not find path 'Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook\'
2017-01-16 18:13:09.713 mdimport[1794:98368] could not find path '15\'
2017-01-16 18:13:09.713 mdimport[1794:98368] could not find path 'Profiles/Main\'
2017-01-16 18:13:09.713 mdimport[1794:98368] could not find path 'Profile'
Usage: -mdimport [OPTION] path
-d debugLevel Integer between 1-4
-g plugin     Import files using the listed plugin, rather than the system installed plugins.
-p            Print out performance information gathered during the run
-A            Print out the list of all of the attributes and exit
-X            Print out the schema file and exit
-L            Print out the List of plugins that we are going to use and exit
-r            Ask the server to reimport files for UTIs claimed by the listed plugin.
-n            Don't send the imported attributes to the data store.
-o path       Write the imported attributes to a file, instead of sending them to the server.

[Process completed]

For what it's worth, I have double checked the path to my 'profiles' - it is Macintosh HD > Users > jma > Library > Group Containers > UBF8T346G9.Office > Outlook > Outlook 15 Profiles > Main Profile. 

I'm just a user, and don't know anything about terminal commands. It's very important to me to get this fixed as soon as possible. Not being able to search my email is a real problem for me. I'm grateful for the help and apologize for testing your patience :)

Sorry this didn't help.

It's always the same issue. The command is not properly interpreted and the terminal complains that you have spaced where you shouldn't.

Do you type these commands or do you copy and paste? (copy and pasting should work better).

I'd really try the short version too. Shorter means fewer chances that there will be a mistake typing the command.

In addition, my short version doesn't make any assumptions as to your user account name. The commands you use are for a user account names "jam". If that's not the case for your account, the command CANNOT work.

~/ in my short version is a substitute for the location of your user account so the command I gave should work for anyone:

mdimport ~/Library/Group\ Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook\ 15\ Profiles/Main\ Profile

Corentin

I do *not* work for MS

Sorry this didn't help.

mdimport ~/Library/Group\ Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook\ 15\ Profiles/Main\ Profile

Hi, 

I am running on outlook version 15.30 and tried to reindex. It's the only way to sync spotlight seaches with outlook. The problem is that it only synchronizes a current status. Emails you receive after the day you "mdimport" won't be in your outook search result. 

Native spotlight searches and finds without any problem. 

Is there any fix out there, yet? Tried to reinstall outlook, ceating a new profile. Nothing helped.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 15, 2020 Views 6,036 Applies to: