Outlook 2016 Fails Connection / Login to Office 365

One of our users has been using Office 365 (Plan 1) for two years on an old desktop.  Never had a problem.  About a month ago we replaced his desktop with a new Dell computer running Windows 7 Pro and Microsoft Home & Business 2016.  Since then it's been a nightmare.

• OWA works fine.
  • The computer is, basically, pristine.  It is used by the owner and all he uses is Outlook.
  • This OST file is probably 18 GB
  • All MS updates have been applied.
  • The first Outlook 2016 profile worked for 2 - 3 weeks, then stopped.  
    • This is the message:  "outlook cannot log on.  verify you are connected to the network and are using the proper server.  The microsott exchange information service in your profile is missing required information.  Modify your profile to ensure that you are using the correct Microsoft exchange information service.".
  • 2nd profile didn't work, ever.
  • 3rd profile worked for a week.
  • 4th profile worked for less than an hour.
  • Office 365 Support & Recovery Assistant was run.  This might be what destroyed Profile #4.
  • Profile 5 is just loading up now

I spoke with a tech at Office 365 support who told me, among other things, that autodiscover is correct and that the servers are correct as well.

We have more Outlook 2016 computers coming in, so this problem needs to be resolved.

Hi S W Bouton,

Thanks for the detailed information.

I understand one of your users is having an issue logging into the Outlook client when using Exchange Online plan 1 and Office Home & Business 2016. And I see you have tried resolving the issue but got no luck.

Regarding “I spoke with a tech at Office 365 support who told me, among other things, that autodiscover is correct and that the servers are correct as well”, I suggest you run an Outlook Autodiscover test at first to see if it works properly. If not, please provide the error message for our analysis.

If the Autodiscover works properly, please try the following steps to see if the issue can be resolved:

1. Open Outlook in another network environment such as home network.
2. If it’s convenient for you, can you uninstall Outlook 2016, create a new Windows profile and re-install Outlook 2016 to check how it works?
3. Based on my experience, a register key someone can view may influence the log-in procedure. May I know if you can view a register key via the following path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Profiles\Outlook. If yes, please delete the register key in this path to see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists after trying the steps above, it turns out that the root cause of the issue lies in the Outlook client. Since our forum focuses on Office 365 for Business online services and we have a forum which is dedicated to coping with this kind of issue, let’s follow the link to post a thread there for further troubleshooting: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=Office2016setupdeploy%2Coutlook%2COffice2016ITPro&filter=alltypes&sort=relevancedesc&brandIgnore=True&filter=alltypes&searchTerm=outlook+cannot+log+on

We appreciate your understanding.

Regards,
Aaron

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Aaron.  Thank you for your help.  I'd already run the autodiscover test several times with different options and I uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook 2016 twice.  I was not aware of the registry key,. but I deleted that key just now.

I will move to the other forum.

Thanks again,

Steve

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 3,183 Applies to: