Outlook 2016 cannot login to Office 365

I have Windows 10 and Office 365 and have been using Outlook 2016 since subscribing to Office 365 a couple of years ago.  Today, I am getting a "Connect to Outlook.Office365.com" window popping up that is asking for my password.  When I entered the password and hit enter, the same popup reappeared after about 5 seconds.  After repeating, I logged directly onto Office 365 and changed my password, then re-tried opening Outlook 2016 and am getting the same popup.

Office 2016 is just that, it is not Office365

Are you refering to an email account/password or your MS Account? https://office.com/myaccount

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have Windows 10 and Office 2016 have been using Outlook 2016 since subscribing to Office 365 a couple of years ago.  Everything has been working fine for 2 years.  Today, I am getting a "Connect to Outlook.Office365.com" window popping up that is asking for my password.  When I entered the password and hit enter, the same popup reappeared after about 5 seconds.  After repeating, I logged directly onto my (Microsoft) Office 365 account (with no problem) using Microsoft Edge.   I went ahead changed my password successfully, then re-tried opening Outlook 2016 but am getting the same popup asking for my password.  

Office 2016 is just that, it is not Office365

Are you refering to an email account/password or your MS Account? https://office.com/myaccount

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

If your Outlook keeps prompting for password of your email account, it could be the corrupted credential stored in your local computer. You can try to clear the credential in Credential Manager. The credentials are stored under Windows Credentials > Generic Credentials. If you cannot verify which credential is related with your email account, just backup your credentials, then remove all of them in the list.

Additionally, what's your email account type, Exchange, IMAP or POP? If it's Exchange, Office 365 account or Outlook.com account? And what's your Outlook desktop version? You can find it in File > Office Account > About Outlook.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is an Office 365 account using Exchange.  I cleared the credential for Office 365 using Credential Manager, but when I re-entered the Password at the popup window prompt in Outlook 2016, it still did not work.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you are using Office 365 you need to uninstall Office 2016/Outlook2016

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, we are just using Office 365 email, not the full suite.   We access the Office 365 mail along with other email accounts using Outlook 2016 and It has been working perfectly for two years....until today.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi GN7,

In this case, you can also try to open Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) and set up an App Password for Outlook client to check if it works. 

Another solution is to create a new Outlook profile to re-configure all your mailboxes in this new profile. But it's recommended to export all your mailbox data in advance to avoid data loss.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi GN7,

May I know if the issue persists? If so, you can try KT's suggestions to check if the App Password and new profile help fix this issue.

Meanwhile, you can also download and run Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant tool to help fix Outlook client issue. 

Besides, what's your Outlook client version? If it's convenience, please capture a screenshot via File > Office Account > About Outlook.

Regards,

Marvin

-----------------------

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 8, 2021 Views 4,854 Applies to: