Option to switch Outlook's "Send to OneNote" Button back to sending to OneNote 2016 (local desktop client)?

I use the "Send to OneNote" button in Outlook 2016 extensively to archive and work with emails in OneNote 2016.

I noticed today after an update that when I click on the "Send to OneNote" button it now opens a new and different dialog window that appears to be associated with the online version of OneNote that forces you to send the note via your cloud account instead of directly to the local client.

This change is problematic because it only allows you access to the notebooks of a single account at one time, whereas in OneNote 2016 you can easily add an item to any notebook you have open in OneNote2016, in which each notebook could be associated with a different Microsoft account but coexist with an easy ability to move and copy between them. It also just takes a lot longer, with more clicks and more wait time as you message goes up to the cloud, then is synced back to your local OneNote client.

Is there a way to change this setting back so that it will send directly to the local OneNote 2016 client?

Also, please assuage my fears that this change foreshadows the retiring the OneNote desktop client in Windows 10...

Thanks

Josh W.

Answer
Answer

It sounds like the Default App settings changed.  Try going to Start, Settings, search Default Apps, Set defaults by app.  Make sure OneNote 2016 is set as the default.  

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 31, 2023 Views 9,791 Applies to: