OneNote won't open attachments (embedded files) ?

I'm scratching my head over this one,

I have quite a few notebooks that have files attached to pages, and i'm sure in the past I could easily open any attachment by double-clicking it.

In the last couple of days I created a new shared Notebook, with the notebook stored on an internal (password protected) Sharepoint site. I added a couple of files from my local PC (by dragging them onto the OneNote page), but then found these files wouldn't open if I double-clicked the attachment icon in OneNote.

Two odd things about this-
  1. I've tried this again, carefully checking that the option to "Embed the file" (not link to the original) is selected. I can see the attachment files have been successfully uploaded into the corresponding document library on Sharepoint, so everything seem to be in place, but the attachments won't open.
  2. Now none of my other attachments in OneNote will open either! The files are in lots of different formats (Word, Excel, PDF etc.), some are local, some are on Sharepoint, but nothing will open.
Symptoms-
  • OneNote will select the file icon with a single click, but ignores both a double-click or the right-click and "Open" selection
  • There are no errrors (in the OneNote UI)
  • Note- When I right-click an attachment icon the top two options of the menu (File Name and Modified Date) are shown greyed-out, not sure if this is normal behaviour?
So, it looks like I have somehow broken the file attachment function in all my Noetbooks!

Any idea what might be causing this, and how to recover the situation?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Not clear why?

As noted in my question, although some of the Notebooks are stored on Sharepoint, some are local, with attached file that are also local, and none of the attachments will open. The issue is not limited to files that are stored on Sharepoint

Regards-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the exact same issue. I did a Repair installation from the Uninstall or Change Program window and that did the trick.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Any luck with this? I have the exact same problem and running the repair did not work. I even uninstalled and re-installed the entire program and attachments fail to open. I am able to remove them and reattach them, but I don't understand why they will no longer open?

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Me too, I experience the problem.

Some days or weeks ago, I could just open e.g. an embedded PDF from within OneNote 2013. Today it's no more possible.

If I double-click on the icon now, the computer just displays the hour glass surrogate (this kind of donut, Windows 8.1) but nothing happens. The context menu (right-click menu) offers "open", too. But again, nothing happens then.

However, if I copy (e.g. by drag and drop) the PDF to outside of OneNote (e.g. destop) the file is good and I can open it.

How did other users come around this problem?

Thank you, Martin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am working with OneNote 2010.   I am having the problem opening files that had been inserted as attachements -- they used to work and now they don't.   Can someone advise why this happens and what the solution is?   Are these files now permanently lost?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am working with OneNote 2010.   I am having the problem opening files that had been inserted as attachements -- they used to work and now they don't.   Can someone advise why this happens and what the solution is?   Are these files now permanently lost?

I too am using onenote 2010, and all of a sudden none of my "copied" files in onenote will open (hey once did). This is maddening--no error message either.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 4, 2020 Views 7,270 Applies to: