OneNote: Using pen as pointer

I am trying to find this option.  To use the surface pen as a pointer when doing presentations using screen share.  Meaning, I do not want to actually draw on the document, but only point out certain text.

I think that the version of OneNote with the "Drawing Ribbon" has this option, but my version does not seem to have it.  

Thank you!!!

Hi Ylx_858,

Thanks for posting your concern in the Community. I hope you're having a nice day. Let's address your concern.

Have you tried following this steps to use OneNote’s Use Pen as Pointer feature:

1. Click Draw, then expand the pen gallery by clicking the downward-pointing arrow in the bottom right corner of the gallery.

2. Select Pen Mode, then choose Use Pen as Pointer.

Note: If you find yourself using this feature frequently, right-click Use Pen as Pointer and choose Add to Quick Access Toolbar to pin the command to the top of your OneNote window.

When you enable Use Pen as Pointer, you can use your mouse, touchscreen, or your tablet’s pen to draw on the screen to attract your audience’s attention–and anything you draw will disappear after a couple of seconds, so you won’t permanently mess up your notes.

If you're having issues enabling it, kindly make sure that all Office updates are installed. To check, see this link for instruction on how to install updates. I would suggest that you start OneNote in safe mode, and see if there are add-ins that might be causing this.

If the issue also occurs in safe mode, try repairing OneNote. If the issue still persists after repairing OneNote, I highly recommend that you reinstall Office. There's a possibility that there are corrupted system files that's hindering OneNoteto work properly.

I can see that you have an Office 365 subscription, since you tagged the thread under Office 365 Home. You may contact our Office 365 chat support team at no cost, to take advantage of your subscription.

To notify me and have me get back to you, simply reply to this post.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you! 

I think the option you described in step 1 is not available on my version of OneNote.

1. Click Draw, then expand the pen gallery by clicking the downward-pointing arrow in the bottom right corner of the gallery.

I do not have the option of the "downward-pointing arrow".  I only have the option of a "PLUS" symbol to "Add a pencil/pen/highlighter".

I have the version OneNote for Windows 10.  I wonder if that is why.

24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I appreciate your response. I've tried to check if the feature is available in OneNote for Windows 10, and found out that the feature isn't available as of this writing. I would recommend that you submit a feedback using Feedback Hub.

In the meantime, you may also opt to use OneNote 2016 to enjoy this feature.

Should you have any other concern, don't hesitate to post back in the Community.

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 28, 2024 Views 16,377 Applies to: