OneNote Syncs Between Web & Desktop But Not Laptop?

I recently tried to use OneNote on my desktop just to find out that my notebooks/pages haven't synced from the app on my work laptop to the cloud. I went to manually sync them, but the sync bar stops midway through and does not finish syncing. I've tried stopping and retrying the sync as well as closed the program completely but it will not sync. It is saying the last time it synced was in January of 2024.

I launched OneNote for the web and it does not have any of my notebooks/pages that are saved on the app on my work laptop. Same with the app I have on my desktop.

When I use the Web version, it correctly syncs from there to my desktop app, but it will not update on the app on my work laptop.

What is the reason for it not syncing to or from my laptop? I've looked at threads about this issue but haven't found a solution. I've tried creating new pages on my work laptop but nothing will sync to the cloud or to my desktop. Any pages I create on the Web or my desktop will correctly sync to each other but nothing will sync to or from my work laptop.

|

Dear and respected,

Good day!

Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are glad to assist. We are looking into your situation, and we will update the thread shortly.

Appreciate your patience and understanding and thank for your time and cooperation.

Sincerely,

Mia

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Dear respected,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing syncing issues with OneNote. As per the description, One possible reason for this issue is that there may be a sync problem with the OneNote application on your work laptop. To troubleshoot on this issue, you can try clearing the OneNote cache on your work laptop by following these steps:

Note: before doing any actions below, please make manual backups to prevent any possible data loss.

1. Close OneNote on your work laptop.

2. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.

3. Type %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneNote\16.0\Cache and press Enter.

4. Delete all the files and folders in the Cache folder.

5. Restart OneNote on your work laptop and try syncing again.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, please check if there shows any error message in OneNote.

See: Fix issues when you can't sync OneNote - Microsoft Support

If there shows no error message, please sign in OneNote Online on laptop and open a notebook to click Open in Desktop App to focus sync in local app.

We appreciate your kind patience and understanding that sometime the initial reply may not resolve the concern immediately or there may have some misunderstanding about your scenario, but we would like to hear the updates from your side and let's figure out the further suggestions.

We'll be here for you to wait for your updates. I appreciate your time and effort on checking these above and thank you for your time and cooperation. I hope that you are keeping safe and well! 

Sincerely,

Mia | Microsoft Community Moderator

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 28, 2024 Views 21 Applies to: