OneNote Stuck in Selection Mode

Hello. I have OneNote from Office 365 (Version 1708, Build 8431.2153), on a Windows 10 (Version 1703, Build 15063.850). 

Every time I use my mouse to select something, OneNote stays in select mode even after I release my mouse button (it acts as if my left mouse button was stuck down). The only way I know to exist select mode is to alt+tab to another application and back. How do I disable this functionality?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi TedgarMadd,

Your Office is missing the latest update. I’ll suggest you update Office to the latest version i.e. Version 1708 (Build 8431.2215) and check if this fixes the issue.

To know how to install Office updates, please see Install Office updates. You can check this article about the Office 365 version information.

Thanks,

Neha

-----------
•Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.
•Please let us know if this is helpful and if the solution worked for you, as it can benefit others who are facing the same scenario.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

According to the site you sent, I am on the latest build for the Semi-annual channel. I ran the office updater anyway, and One Note was not updated.

No change to the issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi TedgarMadd,

According to the article, version 1708 (Build 8431.2215) is the latest build and you have Version 1708, Build 8431.2153 which is behind an update. Please try to update Office again and check if there’s any change.

In addition, when you left-click on your mouse to select a word or a paragraph, the selection will stay for you to perform any action such as copy or cut or bold etc. if you click anywhere else on the same page or press Esc from keyboard, the selection will go away. This is normal in OneNote and any other application.

If this is not behavior you encounter, I would like to confirm the following information:

1. What happens when you left-click to select?  Please explain in detail.
  2. Provide a screenshot of the symptom when left-clicked.
  3. Try using a different notebook, see if that works fine.

Thanks,

Neha

-----------
•Please let us know if this is helpful and if the solution worked for you, as it can benefit others who are facing the same scenario.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My mistake. I am now on 1708 build 8431.2215. No effect on the issue.

You misunderstand me about the selection. The issue is that the mouse acts as if the left button is pressed, even after it is released: as the mouse cursor moves, the selection changes. Escape also does not end this behavior. The only way I've found to take it out of the mode. Here is a video demo:

https://youtu.be/s4Ui1dp6P3g

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi TedgarMadd,

Thanks for the clarification. I tested on my end with the same version of Office as yours and could not reproduce the issue.

Please sign in to OneDrive for business and open the notebook in OneNote online, check if you see the same thing.

In addition, closing and re-opening the notebook usually clears and successfully resets the connection. Follow these steps:

1. In OneNote 2016, click the name of the notebook you’re currently working in to see the list of available notebooks.
  2. Right-click the notebook and click Close This Notebook.
  3. Repeat the above step to close all the notebooks (Note: Before closing, please make sure the changes are synced successfully)
  4. Quit OneNote.
  5. Open a browser, sign in to OneDrive for business.
  6. Open the notebook in OneNote online and click Open in OneNote to open it in OneNote app.

Check if the issue is resolved.

If the issue persists, then I would like to confirm the following information to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Please check if any other Office or non-Office application shows the same behavior.
  2. Do you see this behavior in all the notebooks in OneNote?
  3. If you are using a laptop, try using the trackpad or if you have another mouse, please use that. This will help us to verify if this isn’t a mouse issue.
  4. Check if Shift + arrow key works when selecting in OneNote.

Thanks,

Neha

-----------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue.  I have updated to the latest version of Office (1708 build 8431.2215).  I am using a laptop, and I see the same behavior with my mouse as well as the trackpad - when using the left mouse button to initiate selection mode, OneNote stays in selection mode even after the mouse button is released.  There is no way to clear selection mode without alt-tabbing or clickout out of OneNote.  Using the keyboard shift-arrow method works as expected, and double-clicking on a specific word in OneNote works as expected. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Neha-

I only see this issue in the OneNote desktop application, and it is the same for all notebooks, including a brand new notebook. If I edit in the browser, I'm working in Chrome and select works normally because I'm not using the OneNote desktop application. Closing the notebook, restarting OneNote, and rebooting my laptop has no effect on the selection behavior.

1. There is no other application (Office or otherwise) that exhibits this behavior for me.
  2. Yes, I see the behavior in all notebooks on OneNote.
  3. The "sticky select" behavior works the same with all the mice (three different types) I've tried and the trackpad.
  4. Yes, shift + arrows for select works normally. It's just the mouse select that's off.

-e

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi TedgarMadd and Scott,

Could you please try online repair?

• Click Start, in the search box type Run
  • In the Run box, type appwiz.cpl and click OK.
  • Select Microsoft Office 365, click Change>Online Repair>Repair.

After repair is complete, check OneNote, see if you still have the same problem.

If the issue persists, please try creating a new admin account in Windows 10 and check if OneNote still gives the same issue. This will help us understand if the issue is with your current Windows account or OneNote.

To create another account in Windows 10, please see Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

Thanks,

Neha

-----------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi TedgarMadd and Scott,

Did you try the above suggestion? Please update us when you have time.

Regards,

Neha

-----------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Neha-

I tried the repair. No change.

-e

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 4,021 Applies to: