OneNote permissions

We are needing more granular control over how we share OneNote notebooks and their sections and pages within.

For Example, i have shared a notebook with user "Johndoe".  I want Johndoe to have view only access to section 1 and to have edit capabilities for section2.  The same for pages within different sections, I might want them to have view only access to certain pages, and edit capabilities for other pages.

Using a password, for each section that you want to change permissions on, is NOT practical.  We should be able to assign these permissions to whomever we share the notebook with.

How can this be done?

Answer
Answer

Hi Aubrey,

From the description provided, we totally understand your requirement where you want to share the Notebook to the user with the ability to view specific section and edit specific sections in the Notebook. However, when we share the Notebook in the OneDrive or SharePoint, we are sharing it as complete file where the sharing permissions will be applied to the complete Notebook.

Only workaround to meet your requirement is protecting the sections which you already knew it and I do agree with your idea about sharing ability which makes more convenient for sharing the Notebooks. So, I request you add your idea in the OneNote UserVoice platform where the related team will check the ideas provided by the users and take into action based on the availably & more number of votes.

Hope you understand and appreciate your patience. Have a good day and stay safe 😊

Best Regards,

Chitrahaas

--------------------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 28, 2021 Views 128 Applies to: