OneNote Notebook Section Naming

After using OneNote for over a year now, it seems to be the best e-file and e-mail organizer ever.  Topics from hobbies to work projects, methods, and so much more.  I feel that OneNote has a real staying power.  With that staying power are some growing pains. 

One 'pain' is when naming sections in notebooks, you can point your mouse at a New Section Tab and Right Click, select RENAME.  When you do that, and start typing the new name, focus gets lost and you end up typing in the body of a Page.  I should say we are using Office 365 with OneNote. 

After not being allowed to rename, you can do the same thing again and then be allowed to rename.  Seems like a little bug, that when fixed will make a better user experience.

Another 'pain' is when you take an Outlook meeting notice, and use the Outlook 'OneNote' ICON to "Take Notes on Your Own", if you had Outline numbers in your Meeting Notice, (i.e. Agenda items, Action Items, etc. ), the leveling and numbering of these when transferred into OneNote is not consistent with the original format.  Trying to fix them in OneNote then takes some patience.

Another 'pain' is trying to edit like you do in MS Word, for example a double click and drag in MS Word allows you to select words in succession.  In OneNote, if you double click a word, you cannot drag to select a succession.  You can select the first character, and drag to the end where you wanted to end.  If you are like me, I want consistency between the products mostly because my habit built by using MS Word since the 1990s is to double click and drag.

These 'pains' are a few of the lessons that I believe MS will fix over time to make the product more consistent.  For now, I have all of my Projects where I work in OneNote as the source of record for my Portfolio.  Our PMO has followed suit, and I would imagine many other PMO's and business units all over the world will do the same.  What a great product, I cannot wait for it to mature like MS Word and Excel have in their consistency and quality. 

It makes me wonder what experiences others are having.  Let me know what you see with this product. 

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

AFAIK, the first and third 'pain' you mentioned, could be fixed by using OneNote 2016.

And on the second one, sorry that I have to suggest you send feedback to the product team in UI,

Thanks for posting here and Have a nice day: )

Best Regards,

Oliver

-------------------------------------------
If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thank you Oliver. 

Much appreciated.  We are using OneNote 2016, see screen shot of product pinned to taskbar.

I will take your advice and send feedback to help a great product get better. 

Thanks,

Skip

Skip

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Screen shot did not stick to the note above. 
Skip

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated October 1, 2021 Views 66 Applies to: