OneNote icon not showing in Outlook 2016 Task

I am a very avid user of Microsoft onenote 2016 and Outlook 2016. I frequently transfer email messages to OneNote and then create Outlook tasks. In doing so, within OneNote I would click on the Outlook tasks icon and choose custom which would then bring up an Outlook task form. Previously, the form would have the OneNote icon in the body with the notation "link to task in OneNote.one.

Now, every time I do this, there is no OneNote icon but a long (four lines) URL link starting with onenote:https://d.docs.live.net/d628fe5eb5f4556b/Documents/Library%20-%20New/Committees/Search/executive%20director%20se

The link does work and is active but it is very annoying that the OneNote icon is not there. Furthermore, when I do a listing of tasks within Outlook, those tasks created from within OneNote will show an attachment icon. Those tasks created within OneNote where the long link appears instead of the OneNote icon, there is no attachment icon in the Outlook task listing.

How can I get OneNote to display the OneNote icon in the task body?

Hi,

To better address your concern, we suggest that you refer to the post of JamesYan_MSFT4295 and JerryDuan_MSFT8021 on the thread link below:

You may also refer to this link, for OneNote FAQ's.

Let us know if you need further help.

Best regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry, Jeraldine, this is not my issue.  Please read my post again.  It concerns creating a custom Outlook task within OneNote 2016 which opens an Outlook form but instead of the usual OneNote icon,

I get a complex and long (at least 4 lines) link that starts like this

"onenote:https://d.docs.live.net/d628fe5eb5f4556b/Documents/Library%20-%20New/Committees/NBC/new%20building.one#section-id={.........."

Something has changed within OneNote that has caused this and I sould like to get OneNote again to use the more simple icon.

Thanks.

Bill

Bill

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the quick update. You may refer to the support link below for further troubleshooting:

Let us know how it goes.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the quick update. You may refer to the support link below for further troubleshooting:

Let us know how it goes.

Sorry, this does not refer to my issue either. I have no problems creating an Outlook 2016 task while within onenote. The responses to my request for assistance seem to be missing the issue that the OneNote icon is missing within the Outlook task form having been replaced by a four-line URL.
Bill

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You may try the suggested troubleshooting from Sushma Reddy on the link below:

Keep us posted.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry - this does not help.  Everything was working fine with version 16.0.6925.1041.  When Office 365 updated (to ON version 16.0.7426.1008 then 16.0.7426.1015), then when an OL task was created within ON, the Outlook task now shows a long link in the body of the the OL task instead of the usual (and desired) OneNote icon shortcut..

If you have access to a system with the older ON version, try it.  One other user has already confirmed this.

Bill

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately this has not yet been answered. I was hoping someone from the development team would see this and reply why this change has been made. I certainly would like to have the OneNote icon come back to the Outlook task.
Bill

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Bill, I found more than one query on this topic and have already posted my input on a different posting.  For others, I was able to resolve the same issue by rolling back to 16.0.6366.2036.  Apparently, this function was deprecated.  Technical support suggested posting a request to return this function as a new idea to include  in the program so people can vote on it. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 1, 2021 Views 1,629 Applies to: