Onenote files are saved as a Web link, instead of a .one file

Hi, I recently had problems with syncning my onedrive for business folder, i found a solution by adding my business account to the onedrive i already had, instead of trying to sync it from the website. However now my onenote files are saved as a url and they get open in onenote online instead of onenote 2016, by doing this, i do not have access to my notes while i am offline. I did not have this problem before i added my business account via the add account in onedrive. Why are notebooks automaticly saved as a link to onenote online, even though the file format is set to be a .one file when i save them?
Answer
Answer

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for writing back to us.

If you sync the folder that contains notebooks (Created it on OneDrive) in OneDrive, you will get a stub .url file, which will open the note on the website which is an expected behavior.

As workaround, if you want open OneNote notebooks in Offline which are stored in OneDrive:

Open the all required OneNote notebooks (stored in OneDrive) in application when there is an internet (don’t close the notebook or quit application) and when the internet is disabled you can still see and edit the notebooks but changes made will be sync once internet is enabled.

Additionally, you can also create a notebooks locally (instead of OneDrive) via (Open OneNote 2016 for Windows> File> New> This PC> enter Notebook Name> Create Notebook) where this notebooks are stored in your PC as .one (where internet is not required)

If you want to check all the restrictions and limitations when you sync files and folder, refer this article.

Regards,

Chitrahaas

-----------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* Once complete conversation about this topic, kindly Mark and Vote any replies to benefit others reading this thread.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 16,533 Applies to: