OneNote Error code: 0x2 bdf5f

I have the most bizarre issue with OneNote. I moved the Notebooks folder inside another folder and it completely messed up the Sync functionality. If I now go online, only the notes I took before I moved the folder have synced, and no new notes are being synced. I moved the folder back, closed and re-opened OneNote but it didn't fix it, even when I restart the computer. I tried making it "sync now", and it just has the same error immediately "Error code: 0x2 bdf5f". None of the guidance online seems to help, I've tried going on the online version of OneNote and opening it in the Desktop App from there, and that works but doesn't solve anything, it just takes me to the note that was made when it was last able to sync. Most curiously of all, if I make a change to an old note that was synced to online before I moved the folder, the change does show online, despite the fact I am getting errors, it's just no pages or sections since the folder move show.

I am also now unable to create new Notebooks online. If I make one on the desktop app, it syncs immediately, but I can't move any of the pages over to the new notepad to get them synced again.

Can someone please help? I don't really understand why moving the files has caused this much of a problem? Other cloud syncing tech seems to cope with moving files just fine.

Hi zdecentpn,

Thanks for posting in the community.

As far as I know, if you move the whole notebook folder to another location, and you haven’t reopened the notebook in the OneNote application, you will have a sync issue when you sync the notebook in the OneNote application.

According to your description, you have reopened the notebook in the OneNote application, for “it just takes me to the note that was made when it was last able to sync.”, do you mean some data has been lost?

Also, it seems you want to create a new notebook and move all sections/pages to the new notebook. For “I am also now unable to create new Notebooks online.”, may I know more details about it? Generally, you can go to OneDrive for Web and click the New button to create a new notebook. Note: if you want to move the data from one notebook to another notebook, I would like to suggest you use the Copy feature, not the Move feature. Using the Move feature may result in data loss.

Regards,

George

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi George,

Yes I have reopened the notebook in OneNote on my PC many times, and the sync doesn't work. The data is on my PC, but only a subset of the notebooks are syncing online. So if I can see a notebook online, and click to see it on the Desktop App, it does open just fine, but there are still many notes on my PC that aren't online.

If I try and create a notebook online, I always get this error, despite refreshing many times and retrying with different names.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi zdecentpn,

Thanks for your valuable feedback and sharing updates with us and I really appreciate your effort and your precious time doing. First, please accept my apologize (its my humbly request please don't mind) because you meet such an issue and I understand it effort on your daily work.

And I appreciate your kind words.

As you mentioned, "but there are still many notes on my PC that aren't online" Firstly, please backup all the new notes in the notebooks which haven't been synced in OneNote on your machine.

I think your problematic notebook got corrupted somehow. The best steps to sync your notebook to cloud, you may need to copy/paste your content from problematic notebook to newly create one. But since you mentioned you are unable to create a new notebook online, may I request you, could you please try In-private browser or user another bowser and try go to OneNote for web, or Sign in to OneNote with your associated Microsoft Office 365 account and see if there is any difference.

Also, If the issue still persists, may I confirm can you create files in Word/ Excel in OneDrive online? may I confirm can you create files in Word/ Excel in OneDrive?

Meanwhile, could you please confirm are you using OneNote 365(formally called OneNote 2016) or OneNote Windows 10 app on your machine.

I appreciate your understanding and stay safe!!

Best Regards

Waqas Muhammad

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Waqas, I've been trying to figure out how to backup my notes but now can't seem to find the files. The ones I thought were right say they haven't been modified for month, and I can't see an easy way in OneNote to tell where notes are stored or see the file location? Is there any easy way to do this?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi zdecentpn,

Thanks for your valuable feedback and sharing updates with us and I appreciate your kind words.

Regarding to, "I can't see an easy way in OneNote to tell where notes are stored or see the file location? Is there any easy way to do this?" if you are using OneNote 2016 and in OneNote 2016 app, open notebook and click on File>info and there you can see notebook stored location, copy the path and paste into Window file explore to see if you are to find stored notebook. See image below for your reference:

Best Regards

Waqas Muhammad

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Waqas, for some reason I have a very stripped-back and simplified version of OneNote called "OneNote for Windows 10" which seems quite different, and doesn't have the "File" tab at the top. How do I find out this information without that?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi zdecentpn,

Thanks for your valuable feedback and sharing updates with us and I appreciate your kind words.

It seems you are using OneNote Windows 10 app and yes, it's a quite different than OneNote 2016.

As OneNote Windows 10 app notebooks live in the cloud and stored notebook data either on OneDrive or on SharePoint online location. You may go to OneDrive (sign into OneDrive via your web browser, navigate to Documents where your Notebooks are stored) and check the folder called notebook and find your notebook.

Best Regards

Waqas Muhammad

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2024 Views 2,559 Applies to: