OneDrive/SharePoint appending files with PC names on sync

I have a client who's users have a SharePoint library synced. 

When users work on these files and save, OneDrive is creating duplicate copies back to this library appended with the PC name which then appears in all users synced files..

This is happening on multiple office pc's and home laptops.  User's are being faced with multiple versions of the files all with different PC names appended to them and different versions, therefore nobody knows which is the most recent...and there are a lot of files this is happening with.

Also, sometimes when a file is open by several users, sometimes it is showing those people also collaborating on the top bar(excel for example) and sometimes it doesn't even though they know others are working on the same file.

Can anybody please suggest a fix for this please or point me in the right direction of what the issue could be?

Thanks in advance.

Answer
Answer

Hi SarahH21,

I apologize for all the trouble it has caused and sorry about your time.

As per your description, the symptom mentioned in your post seems to be related to sync issues on one of those user's sync clients. It creates a copy of the file with PC name (normally the problematic one). After this copy file be synced back to cloud, other users who also sync the library will get the file with PC name in their synced folder.

I suggest you first check PC name from the file and let user who uses that PC to check the sync client from his/her side. He/she could first right-click sync client icon on the task bar>View Sync problems or check all items in the synced folder, see if there are some red overlays. We should make sure the sync client works well in all users’ computers who sync the same library. 

I search a lot and I find some users fix the issue when we removed OneDrive Cache passwords in credential manager and signed in to OneDrive again, turned files on-demand off, and on the office tab in OneDrive settings, unticked "Use office applications to sync Office files that I open"

Here is official article for your reference: Duplicate files in OneDrive

To narrow down the issue you have, to check if the issue is caused by OneDrive sync, please let user right click the OneDrive desktop icon>settings>Pause syncing. Then check if the issue persists. You can resume syncing later.

Also. try to use new OneDrive sync client – Preview will synchronize the folders/files in OneDrive for Business and SharePoint sites. Here’s an article which will guide you to get started with the new OneDrive sync client. Please try the new sync client and see if this resolves the issue.

I appreciate your patience and understanding.

Best Regards

Waqas Muhammad

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 10,413 Applies to: