OneDrive Subfolder Restrictions

Hi - We have a team folder set up for a transaction in OneDrive.  We want to restrict certain subfolders in the transaction folder so that some members of our team cannot access. Is this possible?

For context a number of the people we are trying to restrict access to already have shared access to the entire main folder.

Thanks

Answer
Answer

Hi Infra_Associate,

Welcome to community.

I went through your post carefully. I understand all users have access to the main folder and you want some users don't have access to certain subfolders in the main folder. (If I misunderstand anything, feel free to correct me)

I suppose you shared the main folders with all users by using the Share button from ribbon in OneDrive. In this situation, you may try steps below:

1.Firstly go to the permission page of the main folder by selecting the folder>click the 3 dots next to it and chose "Manage access"> click Advanced and go to its permission page.

2.Click "Stop inheriting permissions" from ribbon first, then click "Grant Permissions", share the main folder with all users.

(I suggest you share it with users again because only this way will allow to set unique permissions for subfolders)

3.Then go to the permission page of each subfolder, firstly click "Stop inheriting permissions" from ribbon. You will see all users who have permission to access the subfolder.

Select the users you want to remove permission, click "Remove User Permissions" from ribbon. Repeat the same steps for each subfolder.

Here is an article for your reference: Customize permissions for a SharePoint list or library

In addition, I recommend you save files in SharePoint site because SharePoint is mainly used for team collaboration but OneDrive is mainly used for storing personal files.

Here is an article for reference: Should I save files to OneDrive or SharePoint?

Stay safe and have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Tina

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 7, 2023 Views 4,074 Applies to: