OneDrive & OneNote Questions about Embedded Files

Hello Community,

I am seeking the answers to two questions please.

My 1st Question.

Can the default “Documents” folder in OneDrive containing my OneNote Notebook files be renamed? (I would like to call mine “OneNote Notebooks” if possible)

My 2nd Question:

When you embed a file into a OneNote Notebook a copy of the original file is uploaded to OneDrive which OneNote will reference. (At this point I delete the original file)

When this happens, the file does not go into the “Documents” folder in OneDrive and into the OneNote Notebook files themselves. The file uploads to OneDrive as an individual file.

Via the OneNote application the embedded files can be found within the notebooks that they were embedded into maintaining the separation and organization. In OneDrive this separation and organization is not present.

I embed multiple files into multiple OneNote notebooks thus the files vary in category for example Taxes, University, Vehicle Service Records etc.

In OneDrive all of these files (the files I've embedded into OneNote) appear in one large unorganized list.

Can I create folders, name them in a manner that corresponds to the OneNote notebook to which the file was embedded into or any name I choose and then place the files in OneDrive inside those created folders to recreate the lost organization and separation?

Will this break the association that OneNote uses to associate the embedded file links within OneNote’s Notebooks with the copy of the file uploaded to OneDrive?

Thanks for reading and for you help.

After seven attempts over the course of a few months at seeking an answer from many different incompetent representatives, via phone, web chats, different departments, thirty plus minute hold times, my questions are still unanswered. I usually give up after two hours or so and try again when patients resumes in a week or two.

I actually had a rep hang up on me because she believes the only way to "fix" my problem is to remote access into my computer. I hate Microsoft support with every atom of my being.

I tread lightly when it comes to OneNote because of the volume of Notebooks, Notes and files I have, however, the only way to retrieve answers is to experiment on my own.

The support at Microsoft is the absolute worst in the industry.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 17, 2023 Views 519 Applies to: