OneDrive OneNote notebook migration from one ID to another

I started with a login, let's say *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, started a notebook here in OneDrive. The co then changed my id to *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and the first notebook seems to be stranded. I cannot figure out a way to move that OneNote notebook from the old account to the new.

Hello Chris,

I personally use the OneNote app and understand how important it must be for you to be able to move your notebook from the old account to the new account. It would be helpful to know if you are still able to view the notebook (either on the OneNote for Windows 10 app or the OneNote 2016 app; please confirm).

If you are able to access the notebook on the OneNote 2016 application, you have the option of exporting the notebook and then importing it into the new account you currently use.

The steps to export a notebook are as follow:

1. In the OneNote 2016 application (please note, the affected notebook has to be open)

2. Go to File > Export

3. Under Export Current, select Notebook

4. Under Select Format, select OneNote 2010-2016 Section (*.one)

5. Then click on Export and navigate to your preferred location to save the Notebook to be exported.

6. Click Save.

To import the exported notebook,

[Ensure that you are signed in with the new account/email address]

1. Go to the location where the exported notebook was saved to.

2. Double-click to open the exported notebook in the OneNote 2016 application.

3. In the new window, give a preferred name to your notebook

4. Select Change Location to save the notebook to your preferred location.

5. Your preferred location could be a folder in the OneDrive of your new account.

6. Then select Create (This opens up the notebook as an entirely new notebook) now syncing to the OneDrive storage of your new account.

I hope this helps you; feel free to let me know if further clarification is needed.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for helping. I forgot to mention, this is OneNote for Mac. I do not see an export option. I can still view the notebook.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You're welcome, Chris.

The Export option is not available in OneNote for Mac.

However, there is a Microsoft support article that outlines how to export a OneNote notebook from the web; kindly use the link below:

Export and import OneNote notebooks (microsoft.com)

I hope the information is helpful.

The last resort might be to try this other alternative method:

1. Sign in to Office.com with your new account/email address

2. Create a new notebook on OneNote for the web

3. Then copy and paste from the old notebook still open on the OneNote for Mac on your desktop to the new notebook you have created using OneNote for the web.

4. After you have copied every information from the notebook on your old account, you can then sign in with your new account on the OneNote for Mac app and access the new notebook from there.

Cheers!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Office.com lets me sign in as the old ID but puts me into the new account. When I click on the current notebook I've been using (100's of pages) I get a 404 not found. Grrrr.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 17, 2022 Views 68 Applies to: