OneDrive on Mac sync issue: blocked by .ds_store files

Hi 

I have this issue on my mac: onedrive sync is blocked by .ds_store files.

Onedrive is up to date. Mac OS is up to date. Using Office for Mac also up to date.

Have tried terminal commands but none have revealed .ds_store files in my finder so unable to delete them.

Have tried searching for files of that type in Onedrive via browser, nothing showed.

Feel I'm missing something: does the terminal command need to be associated with the particular folder containing the problem file? If so how?

Assuming I can solve this issue, how do I prevent it happening again? Following advice on another forum have blocked .ds_store files in onedrive settings on admin pages in O365, is there anything else?

Folder with problem contains old files (perhaps 15 years), part of the historical record of the organisation I work for so can't be deleted.

Out of office for 24hours grateful for any advice when I get back.

Meagaidh

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Meagaidh,

Here is an article have some basic solutions for OneDrive issue: Fix OneDrive sync problems on a Mac. You can try the methods in it and share the results with us.

If you have tried the terminal commands, is it like this:

find ~/OneDrivePath/ -name ".DS_Store" -depth -exec rm {} \;

May I know the exact command you type?

About blocking the .ds_store files, here is an article about how to do it: Block syncing of specific file types. The OneDrive admin center need a OneDrive admin permission to access. If you are not a OneDrive admin or Global admin of your tenant, you can ask your admin to do this.

For further troubleshoot, 

1. Screenshot about the DS_Store files to show the symptoms.

2. What actions have you performed before the issue occurred for the first time? For example, a system update and a software installation. Did you moved folders before the DS_Store files issue or after?

3. Your MacOS version number and the OneDrive sync client version number.

Regards,

Alex

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Alex

thanks for the reply, appreciate that.

Tried this terminal command: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles true; killall Finder 

I understood this would reveal the files to that I could then delete. But no joy.

I don't understand how to insert OneDrivePath into the terminal command or what I should be inserting, so was looking for something generic.

I do have admin rights for O365 but I work for a small charity and no training given in the delights of O365 or systems admin. Picking things up as I go. Did attempt to block syncing of specific file types using that method but as OneDrive hasn't worked since not sure if it was successful.

1. OneDrive not currently showing me a dialogue window to screenshot. Last time I saw one it was exactly as image at top of 

https://joshheffner.com/mac_onedrive_ds_store/  except the number of problems was different: on my system I had 7 problems.

2. First experienced an issue with onedrive maybe two weeks ago, can't remember exact actions immediately before that, but being trying to resolve since including time on phone with microsoft agent on Monday this week. That worked to a degree, then I realised that I had miscommunicated with the agent with consequence that my machine was linking to onedrive when in fact I wanted it to link to organisation sharepoint site. So I synced from that site to this machine and this problem arose.

3. Mac OS 10.14.3 Updated as part of my initial working to see if this would resolve the issue 2 weeks ago

One Drive sync client version number: not sure where to get that from. But also updated onedrive in last 2 weeks for same reason.

Edit to add: on leave next week so may be a little while before I get back to any response

Grateful for any help you're able to offer.

Many thanks

Meagaidh

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Meagaidh,

Thanks for your sharing.

The command you mentioned, I think it is to stop creating DS_Store files. For the files created before, you can try the following command to find and remove them:

find /YourOneDrivePath/ -name ".DS_Store" -depth -exec rm {} \;

If you are not sure about your OneDrivePath, you can right clikc the folder in your finder and click Get info.

Let's try if this command can fix the issue.

If you want to link your machine to SharePoint, here is an article for you: Sync files with the OneDrive sync client on Mac OS X (long essay, you can check the Sync SharePoint sites part.)

The OneDrive verison: Right-click OneDrive icon on the top menu > Preferences > About tab.

Regards,

Alex

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Meagaidh,

Haven't heard from you for a while. Are there any updates?

Regards,

Alex

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Alex

back from leave today, so wading through emails. 

Hope to find time to look at this tomorrow, notice one drive icon is showing circle with 2 arrows and has been since I turned machine on this morning (about 5 hours ago), so may be doing something? but no time to investigate right now...hopefully tomorrow

thanks

meagaidh

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Meagaidh,

Thanks for the update. The circle() means OneDrive is syncing, or checking the difference between Cloud and the files synced on your Mac. You should see it when you make a change to a file, but it should not keep showing for that long time unless you have a huge size of files to sync. You can check the status by clicking the OneDrive icon on the top menu.

Welcome to come back with any updates.

Regards,

Alex

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

HI Alex

thanks again. 

Spinning circle continues.......(monochrome) clicking the onedrive icon produces nothing (neither right click nor left click). 

Taking up significant %CPU as shown in activity monitor which is the only way I can find to end the process to try re-starting it. Onedrive not showing up in force quit dialogue window.

Have restarted onedrive a couple of times and also rebooted machine but no change to above.

In finder I can see red crosses which indicate (I believe) where the problem(s) sit(s). 

There is one folder above this in the hierarchy also with a red cross but that folder name contains some info I'd prefer not to share in public forum. 

So right now I have a couple of questions

1. do I run the command you offer above using the path for each folder in turn or can I do it once on the top level? 

2. when I right click get info for one of these folders which bit of the info I'm getting is the file path? 

Should onedrive be running or not when running the command?

thanks a lot for any support you're able to offer

cheers

meagaidh

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi meagaidh,

Thanks for sharing.

You can run the command on one of the top level like MRCS or Lexar. For example, your OneDrive folder name probably like OneDrive-Company, the command you can run is like:

find Hardrive name/Users/Your user name/OneDrive-Company/filePath -name ".DS_Store" -depth -exec rm {} \;

If you right-click OneDrive folder on the left pane in Finder and choose Get info, you can check the Where field, most of the chance, it should look like:

Hardrive name > Users > Your user name.

Regards,

Alex

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mmmmmm, I hate computers (sometimes)    :o) 

Picked up elsewhere that if you drag a folder from finder into terminal that it inserts the path. Tried to run that command. 

Then deleted all the symbols / inserted in to the spaces in the file names during the drag and drop. Tried to run that command. 

Then right clicked folder in finder and copied and pasted from where in to the path name. Tried to run that command.

In all (3) cases of attempting to run the command the response was 

find: -: unknown primary or operator

I've tried googling this phrase and simply don't know enough code to understand what I'd reading! Or what to do next.

Reluctant to copy full command here as it reveals info I'd prefer to keep private. But did take the format you've suggested above.

Thanks for any further support. 

Not working tomorrow, back Friday.

cheers

meagaidh

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi meagaidh,

Is there any chance you can share the path and the commands you use with us via Private Message?

Feel free to reply when you have time.

Regards,

Alex

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 3, 2021 Views 3,750 Applies to: