OneDrive for Business sync problems every time user change password

Hi,

Our organization has a password policy that forces users to change their password every 60 days, and every cycle is pretty much the same thing: user changes password and OneDrive for Business doesn't sync anymore.

I have some steps to close OneDrive For Business and Office Document Cache processes, sign-out and sign-in to Word, open O365 web page, go to the OneDrive page and Sync again. And on the worst case scenario, stop the sync and do it all over again.

Alright, it's a good thing, however dealing with this situation for different users whenever they change their password needs to have an end.

Am I missing something? Is there anything else to be done in order to avoid this behavior? Or is this a recommendation from Microsoft?

Thanks,

Vinicius

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Vinicius,

Please understand it is a normal behavior that users need to re-enter the new credentials for OneDrive for Business after they change their passwords. Thanks for your understanding.

In this situation, we suggest users perform the following steps to reconnect OneDrive for Business library after they change their passwords:

1.Sign out of Office programs ,such as Word.

2.Win +R -> run rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr -> On the next window, remove all the credentials.

3.Restart the computer -> search OneDrive for Business and right click it -> run it as administrator to reconnect your OneDrive for Business library which needs you to re-enter the credentials.

Best Regards,

Sky Pei

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Sky,

Thanks for the quickly answer.

I totally understood that OfB needs to know about the new password, but doing this manual steps, specially for end-users, would be painful. Isn't a easy or quick way to make sure OfB gets the new password?

Thanks,

Vinicius

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Vinicius,

Based on my test, after I changed my password, I will be prompted to re-enter my credentials when restarting the OneDrive for Business Next Generation sync client. In this case, may I confirm the following points to troubleshoot the issue?

1.    Does the issue happen to all users as far as you know?
2.    Does the issue happen each time the one user changes password?
3.    Is the sync client you use up to date (version 2016 (Build 17.3.6428.0530))?

Thanks,
Eric Yang

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Eric,

I am prompted for re-enter my credentials when restarting the OneDrive for Business, however I got stuck on last step when choose sign-in, even pressing the button no action is completed.

And for your questions:

1) Yes, it happens for all users as far as I know

2) Yes, user change password and OneDrive for Business stop syncing asking for credentials

3) I am not using OneDrive for Business Next Generation, all my users use OneDrive for Business that came within Office 2016 (16.0.4390.1000)

Thanks,

Vinicius

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Vinicius,

Sorry for the Eric's misunderstanding.

I’d like to clarify that there is no a quick way to refresh the credentials. and end users can refer to the three steps I provided to reconnect the OneDrive for Business library. I understand it would be convenient if OneDrive for Business sync client can automatically get the correct credentials or admin can help end users  finish it. Given this situation, we would suggest you submit feedback to our related team. Features will be updated based on customers' constructive comments.

Besides the method I mentioned in my first post, you can also let end users try the following workarounds to check the outcome:

Wordaround1:

If users can see the exclamation on the OneDrive for Business icon, please let them left click the  ->on the the following pop-up window, click Enter credentials to re-enter their new credentials.

Workaround2:

If users don’t see the exclamation on the OneDrive for Business icon,  please let them make any change to the local library (such as rename a file) -> the  following window will pop up and they can enter the new credentials.

Thanks,

Sky Pei

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have exactly the same problem, and the steps a outlined are ridiculous. Is it really the best advice possible to tell us that users need to search for DLL files, reboot machines and then run programs under an administrator instead of working out why the app has this bug in the first place?

We're looking to rolling out OneDrive / SharePoint for our users, but this will not be possible if we are to instruct them to perform a series of steps whenever they change a password.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi All,

We need tenant information from affected customers so we can escalate this issue to our Engineering team. If you are not a tenant administrator, either check with your workplace/school tech support team for updates on the status of your service or have them engage with us on this thread. Would you please let tenant administrators contact me via Private Messages to provide this information by clicking on the link below:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/privatemessages/list

Thanks,

Sky Pei

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Everyone,

We have escalated this issue to our escalation team and are engaged with them to investigate. We will continue to monitor the progress and share the latest status here.

Thanks,
Kerwin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi All,

Given the confirmation from the escalation team, we'd like to update that after you change your password, it's expected that you need to sign in again by entering the new password in the legacy OneDrive for Business sync app for updating the cached credential. For more details, please refer to the summary below:

Issue description
=============
After you change the Office 365 passwords, the legacy OneDrive for Business stops syncing with the following error message:
"OneDrive for Business - We need your credentials to sync some libraries"

Causes
=============
When you sync the first library by using the legacy OneDrive for Business sync app, it will let you input your O365 account and password. After the credentials (account, password) are verified succesfully, they will be encrypted and cached in the local register key.

Everytime the sync app syncs doucments from SharePoint Online sites, it need to provide the cached credentials for authenticating. But if you change your account’s password, while the local cached credentials haven’t been changed, once the sync app tries syncing again, the SharePoint sites will tell the app that the credentials are incorrect. So, the legacy OneDrive for Business sync app prompts the error message.

It points out that you need to sign in again by new password for updating the cached credential.

Action Plan
=============
For updating the cached credentials, we suggest you click the “Enter credentials” button, then sign in by a new password. Please refer to the Sky's post above or the steps below to enter credentials:
Click on OneDrive for Business icon on the taskbar  > on the the following pop-up window, click Enter credentials.

If you are still experiencing an issue after entering the new credentials, please let us know by posting a new thread as this may indicate either a scoping issue or an independent problem.

Thanks,
Lingyu Sun

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I continue to despair over the user interface and functionality of OneDrive for Business considering this is such a crucial part of Office 365. Yes, I know (as a developer) that these are all separate products but with their own authentication systems Microsoft really need to focus on single-sign on for the Office 365 suite. But of course, I'm hardly the first to make that observation. Office 365 web, Office itself, OneDrive for Business, OneDrive for SharePoint (boy do you confuse the users with all these sync systems/folders with bad names) and Skype for Business all need to use a single-sign on system so if you change one's password, you only have to enter it once and not a zillion times. Have you not hear about user friendliness!

It's not helped by the OneDrive for SharePoint having an awful interface. Here's a prime example. I changed my password yesterday. Today I happen to notice that OneDrive for SharePoint has an exclamation mark by it.

Fault #1 - Why isn't there a notification in the Windows 10 notification system that there is a problem? It relies upon me happening to notice the icon is there in the system tray before I start getting out of sync with everyone else

Fault #2 - clicking the "Enter credentials" button here doesn't do anything!

Not a thing. Click it as many times as you like but nothing. Wonder why users tear their hair out? It is trying to do something as when you click it, IE in the task bar highlights but nothing pops up. And yes, we're having to still use IE because Edge doesn't cut it with Office 365 - too many features (mainly drag & drop) don't work.

What you have to do is "View sync problems" to get this dialog up. Yeah that's obvious:

Which brings us onto fault #3 - the "Enter credentials" button above doesn't do anything either! Sure once whilst trying to sort this mess out I got a small window asking for my password but as I wasn't sure which of the buttons I'd clicked, I cancelled the dialog and now can't get it back again.

Looks like I'm going to have to reboot and see if that helps.

It's totally unacceptable when we have to write an article for our users about the process they have to follow after changing their password. No wonder they ask if their password really has to expire...

And yes, like the poster above, when you do get to the password screen you get bounced around "Work" and "Personal" windows all subtly different where the "Post/Ok" button doesn't work.

I try to like Office 365. I try to get my clients to like it. But you make it very hard work :-(

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 19, 2023 Views 5,442 Applies to: