OneDrive for Business shared folder not showing in Explorer (Windows 10)

Hello everyone!

This is the second time this has happened to one of my team members, and we are puzzled.

We use OneDrive for Business on an Office 365 online subscription, and the whole team shares and works in a common folder which is housed in and shared from a single user's account. 

For the second time, this shared folder has just disappeared from a team member's Windows 10 File Explorer. The OneDrive client appears to have just disconnected itself from the cloud. The user has NOT disconnected or de-linked the OneDrive client herself. When we restart the OneDrive desktop client, we have to re-sync her private (personal) OneDrive, and then we have to again try to add in the OneDrive for Business shared folder, as if it had never been on her laptop before. 

The first time we tried to re-sync her laptop with the shared folder, it said "A [Common Folder] already exists in your [OneDrive for Business] folder," with a further warning that "If you choose this location for your [Common Folder], files in this folder will be merged with files in the cloud."

We went ahead and re-synced to the same Common Folder location on the cloud--because the Common Folder was NOT showing up in her laptop's File Explorer. Well...it must be there invisibly, because it did indeed wreak havoc to our then newly re-organized directories. 

This time around, the same thing is happening. For some unknown reason, OneDrive for Business shared folder has disappeared from her File Explorer (as described above). When we try to just re-sync with the shared folder, it says that "A [Common Folder] already exists in your [OneDrive for Business] folder," and warns that the (invisible) files on her laptop will be merged with files in the cloud.

First, why might OneDrive for Business shared folders be disappearing or delinking from her File Explorer/laptop? She has been traveling abroad quite a bit, but I don't see why that would cause the connection to disappear.

Second, how do we re-sync her laptop with the cloud shared folder without creating havoc as before? The shared folder isn't visible on her laptop, so it's not like we could just delete that and start from scratch. It's not there! But apparently it is...

Thanks for any help!

Erica

Hi EricaJones2, 

Based on your discription, please check if the user marked the shared folder visible in setting> account> choose folder or not.

This article named "Change the location of your OneDrive folder" explains why this prompt came up to you and how to deal with it.

It mentions: You'll see a message letting you know that the OneDrive folder in the new location already has files in it. Select Use this location, and then finish setting up OneDrive.

Regards,

Jerry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for your reply.

For the record, I can assure you that this user did not go through the steps shown at https://support.microsoft.com/en-my/help/4028633/windows-10-change-the-location-of-your-onedrive-folder to unlink her PC.  We do not know why her laptop unlinked itself the first time, and we don't know why it did it this second time.

I don't think your workaround addresses the issue. If we have her choose a different folder for her (currently invisible) version of the shared folder to land, then she will not be linked to our actual shared folder.  However, are you suggesting that we have her choose a new directory, so that at least something on her harddrive becomes visible and then spend hours and hours  figuring out what files we can delete and which to keep? And after weeding things out from her version of the shared folder, we could then change back to the actual, real shared folder?

Given the hours and hours trying to solve this seems to take, does anyone here know why a PC would just unlink itself like this? Can it be fixed/avoided? 

thanks!

Erica

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Erica,

It might be a possibility that the OneDrive folder was somehow removed from the left navigation in File Explorer, but it is still synced to your drive. If it is shared folder, then it will be synced to C:\Users\<Username>\tenaant by default, you can go to this location and check if the synced folder is still there.

In addition, please check shared with me view in user’s OneDrive (open a browser, go to https?? http://portal.office.com/ and click OneDrive tile) and check if user still has the access to shared folder.

Meanwhile, please confirm if the issue with just was a shared folder or entire OneDrive is unlinked.

Thanks,

Neha

-----------
•Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.
•Please let us know if this is helpful and if the solution worked for you, as it can benefit others who are facing the same scenario.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Neha,

I confirm that this user still has access to the shared folder, by checking OneDrive via a web browser at http://portal.office.com/

Her personal OneDrive is linked and showing up in the File Explorer. The connection to the company OneDrive/shared folder is what has disappeared from File Explorer.  

I did find the shared folder by navigating to C:\Users\{Username}\{Company Name} 

The shared folder is located in a OneDrive-branded folder that looks like it has a couple of office buildings on it.

How might we proceed from here?

Thank you, Neha!   Also - I am not sure why I have two user accounts on this help forum - ?!?! But this is still EricaJones2, the original querent

Erica

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 29, 2024 Views 31,976 Applies to: